Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Carvair N89FA article in Aviation News this month

this forum is for discussions and information on restoration projects such as project updates, visits, open days and any new projects starting or any other relevant pieces of information
andygolfer
Administrator, POTM, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Carvair N89FA article in Aviation News this month

Post by andygolfer » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:53 am

I don't know how many of you follow their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1597142 ... 5/?fref=nf
re the restoration of this Carvair (one of just 2 survivors) but this may be of interest

It's a closed group so I will quote the relevant post from Andy Martin:

My article on the Carvair (following on from my piece on the Argosy in December last year) for UK aviation magazine Aviation News done - being restricted to a little over 2000 words meant that it was impossible to fit everything in, but at least it'll draw some attention to the type again. As far as "Fat Annie" is concerned, I had to leave it at saying work has commenced at Gainseville that will hopefully see her return to the air later this year - the first time a Carvair will have flown in around eight years if it happens. The magazine is going to print later this week so the March 2015 issue should be on the shelves in the UK before the end of the month, worldwide a little later than that I guess... I'll post again when I have a copy to hand...

Apart from myself and Southend regular BobUK , who else remembers the Carvair? would be lovely to see one in the air again.
It was a shame that the last surviving one at Southend was scrapped - I always felt that deserved preservation there in recognition of it's part in the airport's success in the car ferry age and the airport's part in it's production, can't turn the clock back unfortunately :( .
Andygolfer (or at least I was once), now just plane crazy

please support our photo competitions by entering and/or voting!
Proud winner of 2019 Air-Britain photo competition!

co-owner of UK Light Aviation Enthusiasts google group https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/uklae
and Stansted Aviation Enthusiasts google group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/stnae

my photos on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125470545@N07/

Skymonster
POTM winner

Re: Carvair N89FA article in Aviation News this month

Post by Skymonster » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:41 pm

Still one of my favourites... Only two left now, one is South Africa and one in Texas. It'd be great to get one back in the UK when their current owners are finished with them... As for the rest, you can always read my article when the new issue of Aviation News hits the streets towards the end of the month! :-)

Andy
AlphaMike/Skymonster
"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are no old bold pilots"
"Light travels faster than sound; that's why some people appear to be bright until they speak"
Alpha Mike Aviation Photography

Maltatripper

Post by Maltatripper » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:22 pm

The article stated that N898AT was "damaged beyond repair after its landing gear hit the undershoot to the 4,200 ft (1,200m)gravel airstrip at Nixon Fork Mine, Alaska on May 30, 2007".

Was this scrapped, (if so when). If not, then some parts may be salvageable from this aircraft.

There is also 9J-PAA, which has been at Rand Airport since 2005.

Bobbybefc

Post by Bobbybefc » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:01 am

:D

Andy,

Remember them well- the Aer Linguis Carvairs were daily visitors into LPL EI-AMP, AMR, and ANJ also remember the British Air Ferries ones and Cie Air Transport saw N89FA in it's previous life as G-ASHZ.

Happy Days

Bob :cool:
Bobby B EFC :cool:

garryrussell

Post by garryrussell » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:06 pm

Maltatripper wrote:The article stated that N898AT was "damaged beyond repair after its landing gear hit the undershoot to the 4,200 ft (1,200m)gravel airstrip at Nixon Fork Mine, Alaska on May 30, 2007".

Was this scrapped, (if so when). If not, then some parts may be salvageable from this aircraft.

There is also 9J-PAA, which has been at Rand Airport since 2005.
Completely wrecked I'm afraid

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=n898a ... 66&bih=590

Maltatripper

Post by Maltatripper » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:15 pm

Pity that the nose section or parts of it could not be salvaged.

Doubtless it is all gone now.

Return to “Restoration Scene”