Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Concorde 01 G-AXDN

Only nostalgic and wrecks & relics photography in here please, nostalgic posts should be over 5 years old.
Cessna954
POTM & SPOTM winner

Concorde 01 G-AXDN

Post by Cessna954 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:28 pm

My father-in-law worked for BAC on the Concorde project back in the early '70s. A couple of years back I took him and one of my sons to the amazing Bristol Aerospace museum at what's left of the Filton airfield, Pausing at one large photograph of the Concorde assembly hangar, he commented, "see that bench, that was my work station" history coming alive for both my son and I.

Yesterday he handed me a bundle of small colour prints of a Concorde being towed from the Brabazon hangar. He explained that there were too many chiefs trying to direct proceedings resulting in the wing tip clipping the hangar door.

I've scanned the photos and have put three on to Flickr. The aircraft is clearly G-AXDN, the British pre-production model, and if it is the occasion of the 'official roll out' that would make the date 20th September 1971.

ImageBAC / SUD Concorde 01 G-AXDN by Neil Brant, on Flickr

As most on here will be aware, since 1977 G-AXDN has resided as a museum piece at Duxford, having flown only 600hrs over barely 5 years.

ImageDan Air De Havilland 106 Comet 4 G-APDB, BAC/SUD Concorde G-AXDN & BOAC Vickers Super VC-10 G-ASGC by Neil Brant, on Flickr

There's less and less of the old Filton airfield remaining, with the Brabazon Hangars proposed to become a concert venue. However, there is the great Bristol Aerospace Museum on the northside that houses G-BOAF, amongst many other Bristolian exhibits.

ImageBritish Airways BAC/SUD Concorde 102 G-BOAF by Neil Brant, on Flickr

ImageBritish Airways BAC / SUD Concorde 102 G-BOAF by Neil Brant, on Flickr

Neil

andygolfer
Administrator, POTM, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Re: Concorde 01 G-AXDN

Post by andygolfer » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:30 am

very nice memories Neil thanks for sharing them. That must have been an exciting time to work in our aviation industry.
I visited the Bristol museum in November 2017 and it's an excellent collection and the Concorde display is very well put together
Andy
Andygolfer (or at least I was once), now just plane crazy

please support our photo competitions by entering and/or voting!
Proud winner of 2019 Air-Britain photo competition!

co-owner of UK Light Aviation Enthusiasts google group https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/uklae
and Stansted Aviation Enthusiasts google group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/stnae

my photos on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125470545@N07/

LondonEye
POTM & SPOTM winner

Post by LondonEye » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:45 pm

Those are nice historical pictures Neal. :thumbs:

I first saw G-AXDN at the 1974 Farnborough show.
My first Concorde sighting was unexpected. A normal visit to the Queens Roof Gardens at LHR on 1st July 1972 revealed G-BSST. I believe it was arriving back from a sales tour.
Pete.

Unknown35

Post by Unknown35 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:08 am

Interestingly I've been on G-AXDN a few times on visits to Duxford, also been on G-BOAA at East Fortune but I was also reminded recently we also went to see G-BSST at RNAS Yeovilton but I can't recall much about going on board, surely I did but just can't recall much about it.

Maltatripper

Post by Maltatripper » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:21 pm

I have been to Filton a couple of times and am always amazed how small it is inside.

My first sighting of it in flight was about 1974, when it was based at Fairford and it used to fly over Swindon. An awesome sight.

The last time was when G-BOAF returned to Filton or the last time in 2003. My brother and his ex wife worked at BAE and arranged for me to come inside with the staff.

It was sleeting most of the morning, but well worth the wait.

acw367
POTM & SPOTM winner

Post by acw367 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:43 pm

Great British Aviation
Canon PowerShot SX740 HS - https://www.flickr.com/photos/acw367

Return to “Nostalgia and Wrecks & Relics”