Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Driving on French Motorways

Please use this area for non-aviation related chat.
Fullenglish

Driving on French Motorways

Post by Fullenglish » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:21 am

Has anyone got information or had experiece with a new system on the French motorways operated by Sanef?
They have now introduced a system whereby one can apply for a card after paying a set fee. When driving through the toll instead of having to stop, ones car registration is read and then the barrier opens allowing the driver to proceed without any delay in operating the machine and physically paying the set toll tarriff. The toll payment is taken from your credit card or similar. Sounds great but... :unsure:

I have heard that some people have had problems with it not working or there is a dispute on the amount to pay.

Does anyone have practical experience on this issue?

Phil
Ah. I'd like to have an argument, please. ... Receptionist: Well, It's one pound for a five minute argument, but only eight pounds for a course of ten.

Nighthawke

Re: Driving on French Motorways

Post by Nighthawke » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:35 pm

Hi,

No experience but seemed interesting so had a Google. Have you seen www.saneftolling.co.uk? All info is there if you haven't. Seems a bit pricey to set up and unlike the old Dart Tag, there is no discount on the toll fees. Think I'll stick to card payments.

Fullenglish

Post by Fullenglish » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:36 am

Hi, Yes I haver thanks. It's a great idea. Saves a lot of time and hassle, but I read that one chap was charged too much and when he disputed it Sanef threatened to prosecute and in the end cancelled his card and refused to give him his money back.
Ah. I'd like to have an argument, please. ... Receptionist: Well, It's one pound for a five minute argument, but only eight pounds for a course of ten.

Fullenglish

Post by Fullenglish » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:30 pm

This scheme works out more expensive than using cash euros. Also they will not accept a credit card payment. They insist that they draw payment direct from bank account.
Personally I don't like the sound of that. Too much control their side. Especially if there is a dispute as I have already pointed out in my previous blurb.There is no way of sorting out disagreements. Once they have the cash it's difficult to get the money back and it is subject to variable rate of exchange.

Bobbybefc

Post by Bobbybefc » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:06 pm

:D

Have only driven once over in France- used the tolls till I got to my destination and then got the maps out and used the normal roads which was more interesting :)

Seem's a good idea- but could be problems if you try to resolve any overpayment/underpayment etc.

Bob :cool:
Bobby B EFC :cool:

Return to “General Chat Area”