Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Odd question regarding clouds

Please use this area for non-aviation related chat.
spitfirelover

Odd question regarding clouds

Post by spitfirelover » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:24 am

Hi all

This might sound an odd question but is there a way of finding out the cloud hight in a area?
For example I'm currently visiting relatives
In sutton where I have been watching the aircraft fly over.
Today the clouds seem very low currently and just wonder if there is a phone app or device that can tell you.

Cheers Dale
I like to Mig it Tig it Arc it, If that fails hit it with a big hammer

PorkScratching
POTM & SPOTM winner

Re: Odd question regarding clouds

Post by PorkScratching » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:57 pm

If you look up the METARs (METeorological Aerodrome Reports) for the nearest airfield(s) the cloud base will be given in those. Sometimes there will be multiple layers, and sometimes it will be clear. I use the Met Office aviation briefing service, but if you've not used METARs before the format can be a little daunting. However, there's plenty of websites and apps these days that will present you with the raw data and a decoded version - look up METAR in your favoruite app store. When you do so you may see mention of TAFs (Terminal Aerodrome Forecasts) which are forecasts for aerodromes and are in a similar format. You might find these useful for everyday use because they are very precise and contain more data than your average TV weather report.

Return to “General Chat Area”