Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Diesel prices in the UK

Please use this area for non-aviation related chat.
Mike
Administrator, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Diesel prices in the UK

Post by Mike » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:36 pm

Have just done a trip down to Bomber County and Manchester, I filled the car up before leaving Inverness and paid 131.9p per litre.

Haven't seen anywhere on my travels to match that price, the BP station at the Trafford Centre charges 151.9 per litre. There seems to be a huge difference in prices.

Does anyone know why and what do you guys pay?

Please support our monthly photo competitions by entering and/or by voting !

andygolfer
Administrator, POTM, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Re: Diesel prices in the UK

Post by andygolfer » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:15 pm

where I am in west Essex (Rayne, just outside Braintree) diesel is about 131/lit but at Chlemsford (10 miles south) or colchester (15 miles west) it's about 2p/lit cheaper and southend (35 miles) is about 4p cheaper, or was last time I went there a few months ago.

was the Trafford pk price higher than surrounding garages? if not I wonder if they put up prices in Manchester to catch all the United fans travelling from 150 miles down south! :D
Andygolfer (or at least I was once), now just plane crazy

please support our photo competitions by entering and/or voting!
Proud winner of 2019 Air-Britain photo competition!

co-owner of UK Light Aviation Enthusiasts google group https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/uklae
and Stansted Aviation Enthusiasts google group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/stnae

my photos on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125470545@N07/

PorkScratching
POTM & SPOTM winner

Post by PorkScratching » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:53 pm

The prices tend to cheaper near to refineries, import terminals, storage facilities etc., which fits nicely with Andy's Essex prices above (relative to Coryton). The Trafford Centre price difference seems massive - I guess they have a bit of a captive market like motorway service stations?

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:14 pm

PorkScratching wrote:The prices tend to cheaper near to refineries, import terminals, storage facilities etc., which fits nicely with Andy's Essex prices above (relative to Coryton). The Trafford Centre price difference seems massive - I guess they have a bit of a captive market like motorway service stations?
The cheapest motorway service area price was 1.469 on the M6, Inverness is around 150 miles from the Grangemouth refinery.

There's some huge price differences aound the UK, I'd love to know why.

Martin

Post by Martin » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:38 pm

It's £1.29 a litre for Diesel in Tamworth (just a few miles from Kingsbury refinery) but around twelve miles down the A5 in Brownhills its £1.33 a litre so it does jump a little the further you get away from the refinery.

Martin

beefsteak

Post by beefsteak » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:21 am

I am less than 20 miles from the Ellesmere port refinery yet our super market diesel (£1.35.9) is about the most expensive, so that rules out that theory doesn't it?

Bobbybefc

Post by Bobbybefc » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:39 am

:(

Used to be cheaper than petrol- till respective Governments saw it as a way of raising more revenue and has now well and truly overtaken petrol.

Happy Days

Bob :cool:
Bobby B EFC :cool:

Mike

Post by Mike » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:03 pm

Have just been to my local ASDA for some diesel and it's now down to 129.7 a litre, 22.2p a litre cheaper than the Trafford Centre was a few days ago - and we're about 150 miles from the nearest refinery !

What is going on? :???:

andygolfer
Administrator, POTM, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Post by andygolfer » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:13 am

Bobbybefc wrote::(

Used to be cheaper than petrol- till respective Governments saw it as a way of raising more revenue and has now well and truly overtaken petrol.

Happy Days

Bob :cool:
prices are back to about even now, diesel is even a penny or so cheaper at some outlets, round about 115p / litre round this way.

I've got a petrol engined car but sometimes wonder where the true break even mileage is before a diesel one gets cheaper. some people say it's as high as 18000 miles while others say only 16000, at my 10 to 11000 a year I'm way off even the lower figure.
Andygolfer (or at least I was once), now just plane crazy

please support our photo competitions by entering and/or voting!
Proud winner of 2019 Air-Britain photo competition!

co-owner of UK Light Aviation Enthusiasts google group https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/uklae
and Stansted Aviation Enthusiasts google group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/stnae

my photos on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125470545@N07/

Return to “General Chat Area”