Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

What's been your best ever aviation day?

Please use this area for non-aviation related chat.
The Cameraman
SPOTM winner

What's been your best ever aviation day?

Post by The Cameraman » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:35 am

Mornin' Guys n Gals,

I was just wondering what was your best ever aviation experience, where, when and why?

I'll start off with my three favourites.

Back in August 2002 I was fortunate enough to join the crew of a Grumman Albatross, to attend the annual Islay Airshow. We spent a few days prepping the aircraft at Oban, before taking my first flight in a flying boat, over to Islay. There, we were guests of Bowmore Distillery and were treated like kings. Next day we performed at the airshow, before heading for Loch Indaal, where I shot the aircraft from a small boat, before being returned to the aircraft. Then a few circuits and splashes were performed in front of virtually the whole town, before returning to Oban.

My second was sat in a hotel in Vancouver, with two really good mates in 2001. We were all a little short of cash but midway through our US/Canadian spotting trip I'd been invited over to Sproat Lake to visit the Martin Mars water bombers. I'd quickly obtained a few quotes to charter a Beaver, to fly us there, wait whilst we visited the Mars and to return us back to Vancouver, however it was a lot of dosh! We all sat there over a meal, hoping one of us would say let's do it and I was the first to speak up! The next day we joined our pilot for the day, jumped in the float Beaver and headed for Sproat Lake. Once there, the Mars were opened for our unlimited viewing and photo's taken by the dozen. Even Gary (the pilot) joined us for the visit and enjoyed it as much as we did. Several hours later we returned over Nainaimo, where we found a couple of PBY's (one of which came over to the UK and is now based at Duxford) and, on the last leg of our journey we saw an Orca cresting through the waves, so we circled until we saw it again, before heading back to Vancouver.

My last was a simple affair, again in 2001. Whilst my mates were taking an air experience flight around Washington State, I took the time to spend an exhausting couple of hours performing circuits and splashes in N9566L (float Cessna 172), at Lake Sammamish. The lads will confirm I was totally drained after the experience and is something I'll do anything to repeat (should funds allow).

So come on you lot. I know you'll have some great tales to tell!

Regards

Reggie AKA The Cameraman

Return to “General Chat Area”