Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

what types do people spot?

Please use this area for non-aviation related chat.
Martin

what types do people spot?

Post by Martin » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:53 pm

As with any hobby, the individual make's up their own rules of the hobby so what types do people spot?

I take anything with a reg' on it although I do normally just chase bizjets/props and military transports with the rest seen 'as and when'. However, I don't do "dot spotting", I prefer to see them up close and personal.

I did go through a period of taking just airliners, bizjets, bizprops and militay transports but as types such as the PC12, TBM700 and now VLJ's became more popular, it seemed a waste of time visiting places such as Goodwood, Fairoaks, Blackbushe etc just for a PC12 or a TBM700 so I ended up writing everything down again. (although I may end up regretting that decision now Gliders have been given "proper" G- reg's!) :unsure:

Martin

Headset 57

Re: what types do people spot?

Post by Headset 57 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:43 am

Used to do everything,then went onto only Mil in the good old days,then just uk & us,now we don't have any i tend to do just uk& irish airliners and bizz as live at LHR. Don't go chasing stuff round either so it makes it more pleasurable now.

EGVP
POTM winner

Post by EGVP » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:50 pm

If it flies, I count it. Simple, really :)

bigash

Post by bigash » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:10 am

I've been spotting since I were little many years ago. Started off out as only being interested in civil, never really saw military as a collecting thing, now, well really the past 4 years I have been collecting mil only.

I am trying to get back into the civil stuff. I have had to start my reg book up again, always pleasurable, but i remember at one stage having all the regs collected for the likes of BA and AA curt of a few trips to LHR now when I go there I look at queens building alike its a ghost.

A question for all you civil spotters out there, where do you spot at in LHR, GATWICK LONDON City and Stansted. I may be jumping the gun here a bit, but i'm guessing that Luton still had the Spectators area?

Any info is welcome.

Iain

vortex003

Post by vortex003 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:13 am

Helicopters mainly,but i do like to see biz jets and large turboprops as well.Living next to the local airport i am more interested in the photography side rather than writing down regs,so it's more a case of having a photo of each aircraft i see.

Martin

Post by Martin » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:17 pm

bigash wrote: A question for all you civil spotters out there, where do you spot at in LHR, GATWICK LONDON City and Stansted. I may be jumping the gun here a bit, but i'm guessing that Luton still had the Spectators area?
The spectators area at Luton went a few years ago, it's now Ocean Sky's FBO

At London City, you can spot from the opposite side of the Dock where you can get good pic's of landing and departing traffic. I can't recall the name of the DLR station that's next to the area (I think it's Royal Albert or something like that, it's two stops up from the Excel Centre on the Beckton line). However, If you spot from here, you may be approached by the Police who do regular patrols along here but are usually OK once they know what you're doing.

For Heathrow, check http://www.civilianaviation.co.uk/forum ... f=36&t=341" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For Stansted, check http://www.civilianaviation.co.uk/forum ... f=37&t=780" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HTH
Martin

leonard320

Post by leonard320 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:49 pm

bigash wrote:
A question for all you civil spotters out there, where do you spot at in LHR, GATWICK LONDON City and Stansted. I may be jumping the gun here a bit, but i'm guessing that Luton still had the Spectators area?

Any info is welcome.

Iain
Iain

Spotting at luton is relatively simple, and there are quite a few areas which are used. If you just want to log, you can walk round the terminal area, by the Holiday Inn ( the pond). From these areas the south stands are not easy to see, these can be logged from the crash gate in dane street. This spot does require a car. to log the cargo and as well as harrods, you can go towards the long term car park.

Hope that helps

Thanks
Ben Leonard

Return to “General Chat Area”