Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Socially distanced airshow - Old Warden 18th July

Post your airshow images here, military aircraft that attend civilian airshows can be posted as long as the bulk of the photos in the thread are of civilian participants.
Cessna954
POTM & SPOTM winner

Socially distanced airshow - Old Warden 18th July

Post by Cessna954 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:00 pm

Like Andy, I attended the first Shuttleworth and UK Airshow of 2020 and also the world's first drive-in socially distanced airshow. Let's hope the need for them is short-lived!

The event went far beyond expectations on organisation by the Shuttleworth team and to my delight the behaviour and respect showed by those attending. Obviously, people post lock-down acting normally isn't of interest to the news feeds.

An iPhone image to start with showing the general set up for anybody thinking of going to any other shows at Old Warden this year. Despite being in the fifth row back, in Zone A, the display view was unhindered because of the sloping parking area.
ImageOld Warden Drive In Airshow by Neil Brant, on Flickr

Now some of the stars of the show.

Spitfire PR.IX G-PRIX
ImageAircraft Restoration Compant Supermarine Spitrfire PR.XI G-PRXI / PL983 by Neil Brant, on Flickr

de Havilland DH-88 Comet G-ACSS
Imagede Havilland DH-88 Comet G-ACSS by Neil Brant, on Flickr

Fauvel Wassmer AV.36 Glider BGA1999
ImageFauvel Wassmer AV.36CR BGA1999 by Neil Brant, on Flickr

DH-82A Tiger Moth G-ANKT flour bombing the airfield
Imagede Havilland DH-82A Tiger Moth G-ANKT / K-2585 by Neil Brant, on Flickr

Parnall Elf II G-AAIN
ImageParnall Elf II G-AAIN by Neil Brant, on Flickr

de Havilland DH-60C Hermes Moth G-EBWD
Imagede Havilland DH-60X Hermes Moth G-EBWD by Neil Brant, on Flickr

de Havilland DH-51 G-EBIR
Imagede Havilland DH-51 G-EBIR by Neil Brant, on Flickr

Sea Hurricane Ib G-BKTH
ImageHawker Sea Hurricane Ib G-BKTH / Z7015 by Neil Brant, on Flickr

Lighting was tricky at times with banks of cloud to the west blocking the sunlight but clear skies to the east creating lots of back lighting, but nonetheless, all good fun.

Neil

seacat192

Re: Socially distanced airshow - Old Warden 18th July

Post by seacat192 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:36 pm

Good set Neil.

My favourites are the Comet and the Hermes Moth, but all are good.

Roger

andygolfer
Administrator, POTM, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Post by andygolfer » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:40 am

very nice Neil, you obviously got there much earlier than me - I was at the rear of zone C but still had a very good view.
The comet is my pick of them.

I thought it was excellent throughout, Shuttleworth had put a lot of effort into the organisation and it all worked well. The layout of the zones and car parking plots was fine partly because of the sloping ground which might not work for all venues.

I have a ticket for the next one on 2nd August (booked before this show so was hoping they would get the planning right) and I'm really looking forward to it. I see that is approaching sold out already so that suggests that it was generally well received.
Andy
Andygolfer (or at least I was once), now just plane crazy

please support our photo competitions by entering and/or voting!
Proud winner of 2019 Air-Britain photo competition!

co-owner of UK Light Aviation Enthusiasts google group https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/uklae
and Stansted Aviation Enthusiasts google group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/stnae

my photos on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125470545@N07/

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:07 pm

OK,so what happens if you do not own a car,access denied,even if you have purchased a ticket on line,social discrimination?

Cessna954
POTM & SPOTM winner

Post by Cessna954 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:26 pm

OK,so what happens if you do not own a ... imination?

Sadly during these extraordinary times being discriminated against for not being able to attend an airshow is the least of our worries. Without going in to too much detail I spent a spell in hospital during lockdown and the stories I heard from low paid NHS staff making massive personal sacrifices in their lives puts everything else into a new context for me. Our small sacrifices are mere inconveniences really.

Sorry to get on my pedestal on this but 'it's just a bl**dy hobby not life or death.

Bobbybefc

Post by Bobbybefc » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:07 pm

:D

Great idea- the parking at Old Warden- also excellent idea no pedestrians unless arriving in a car. I realise it is no good if you do not have access to a car- but in the current climate- it is a no brainer- personally I do not wish to attend any aviation events until it is safe to do do. Likewise with my football- although I miss going to the match and meeting up with my mates.

Fully agree with the comments re the NHS staff- don't get enough money for what they do- especially with this damn virus- and they were let down earlier with the failure of the PPE.

Stay safe everyone and one day we will get back properly to airshows- in cars or on foot. :clap:

Up the Toffees

Bob :thumb:
Bobby B EFC :cool:

Return to “Airshows/Events”