Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Flying Legends 2021 at Sywell has been cancelled

Post your airshow images here, military aircraft that attend civilian airshows can be posted as long as the bulk of the photos in the thread are of civilian participants.
Mike
Administrator, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Flying Legends 2021 at Sywell has been cancelled

Post by Mike » Fri May 28, 2021 4:03 pm

I've just noticed that a post over on Fighter Control states that this event, that was planned for July, has been cancelled, the announcement says:-
Dear Friends of Flying Legends,

In the light of yesterday’s message from our Prime Minister, and the uncertainty surrounding the UK opening fully for business, it is with deep regret and a heavy heart that we must cancel this year’s event. We understand the government’s careful position but cannot safely stay the course in the light of the potential loss and lack of clarity so close to show time.
We sincerely apologise for the disappointing news but the circumstances are truly out of our control. We will be reimbursing all of you, our faithful friends of Flying Legends who pre-paid for tickets in the coming days.

On a personal note and in the name of the whole team at The Fighter Collection who have worked so hard this past year to prepare the aircraft and the show itself, please know that this decision has not come lightly. We are very sad but pray that next year will be COVID free for all and that Flying Legends 2022 will be a classic.

Thank you for your understanding and for your dedication and support.
Yours sincerely
Nick Grey
Director

Please support our monthly photo competitions by entering and/or by voting !

andygolfer
Administrator, POTM, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Re: Flying Legends 2021 at Sywell has been cancelled

Post by andygolfer » Sat May 29, 2021 8:50 am

a shame but don't suppose it will be the last one we hear of this year. The sudden surges of covid are all too apparent and there has to be a point for all events where the organisers have to throw in the towel. Some may say it's a bit early to do so but if I were planning to attend from afar (and in some cases that could involve travelling from abroad) I'd sooner know now that at the last minute when accommodation and travel arrangements have been made and paid for.
I would also summise that in this case being so close to the 21st June planned 'opening up everything' date it's on even more of a knife edge for the organisers and is bluntly too much of a risk. It's not quite the same as a sports event in a stadium where distancing can be controlled by seating allocations, an open field lacks that opportunity for control.

I've booked tickets for the Headcorn BoB show at the end of June and although i'm looking forward to it, I won't be totally surprised if that succumbs for similar reasons being just 4 days after the key date of the 21st. Probably the most secure shows in the way of going ahead this year are the Old Warden Drive In ones which are planned to ensure social distancing from the start and can be tweaked either for tightening or loosening of the rules current at the date of the show. (fingers crossed for Headcorn!)
Andygolfer (or at least I was once), now just plane crazy

please support our photo competitions by entering and/or voting!
Proud winner of 2019 Air-Britain photo competition!

co-owner of UK Light Aviation Enthusiasts google group https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/uklae
and Stansted Aviation Enthusiasts google group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/stnae

my photos on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125470545@N07/

Return to “Airshows/Events”