Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Temporary changes to runway alternation

Post your logs, movements and information for London Heathrow here.
Headset 57

Post by Headset 57 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:46 pm

For six weeks from September 13 2010, essential maintenance work will be taking place on taxiways connecting Heathrow's northern runway with the rest of the airfield.

This means that Heathrow will not be able to alternate daytime use of the runways as published during this period, although night time alternation will be unaffected.

Some of the asphalt taxiways next to Heathrow's northern runway are laid on top of concrete blocks. Regular maintenance checks have shown that some of these blocks could become unstable, which can cause the asphalt to break up. For important safety reasons, we now need to replace these blocks to avoid debris getting into aircraft engines.

The major part of the work will take six weeks, and this means that when the airport is on westerly operations during this time (when the wind is coming from the west, with aircraft coming in to land over London and take-off towards Windsor), we will use the southern runway for the majority of arrivals and the northern runway for departures.

As a result, people living under the arrivals flight path for the southern runway will not have the usual half-day respite from aircraft noise. This includes north Feltham, south Hounslow, Isleworth and Richmond.

People living under the departure's flight path for the northern runway will also not have the usual half-day respite from aircraft noise. This includes Colnbrook, south Slough, Windsor, Datchet and also Staines and Egham when certain departure routes are used.

Colin Wood, Heathrow's Director of Airside Operations, said: "I know this news will not be welcomed and we want to convey our apologies to all affected. We would not suspend alternation if there was any other alternative. This work is critical to the future safe operation of Heathrow."

When the airport is on easterly operations (when the wind is coming from the east, with aircraft coming in to land over Windsor and take-off towards London), the usual practice will not change.

This will mean that we continue to use the southern runway for the majority of departures and the northern runway for arrivals. Throughout the period, night time alternation will also be unaffected.

If residents would like to speak to somebody about the noise impact of these works or have an enquiry regarding aircraft noise please call the flight evaluation unit on 0800 344 844 or email noise_complaints@baa.com.

http://www.heathrowairport.com/assets/I ... nation.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A system of runway alternation was introduced in the 1970s for aircraft landing during westerly operations (ie when arriving aircraft make their final approach over London) to provide predictable periods of relief from the noise of landing aircraft for communities under the final approach tracks to the east of the airport.

The pattern of alternation has been modified several times since the 1970s and in 1999 was extended to the night period.

The present pattern provides for one runway to be used by landing aircraft from 06:00 until 15:00 and the other runway to be used from 15:00 until after the last departure (normally starting with the midnight hour), after which landing aircraft use the first runway again until 06:00.

However, on Sunday each week the runway used before midnight continues to be used for landings until 06:00. This means early morning arrivals before 06:00 use a different runway on successive weeks and that the runways used by landing aircraft before and after 15:00 also alternate on a weekly basis.
Runway alternation 6am-7am

From 14 August 2000 there has been an ongoing trial of runway alternation between 6am and 7am. It is a trial only and so ATC can still use both runways to land arriving aeroplanes when delays build up. The Department for Transport has not confirmed how long it will run.

Aircraft taking off during westerly operations can use either runway, but most use the runway that is not in use for arrivals.

View the current runway alternation programme (137KB PDF)

Runway alternation does not operate in the daytime during easterly operations due to the Cranford Agreement.

The overall pattern of alternation results in a four-week schedule which provides for one runway to be used for arrivals on westerly operations during the day with the rotation of the use of an easterly/westerly preference at night.

The pattern of runway alternation may be suspended by Air Traffic Control if there are sound operational or safety reasons for doing so.

Additionally, maintenance work at the airfield may occasionally mean that adherence to the published programme may not be possible. However, every effort is made to adhere to the alternation programme

EGVP
POTM winner

Re: Temporary changes to runway alternation

Post by EGVP » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:48 am

Thanks for that :)

Headset 57

Post by Headset 57 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:08 pm

If landing on 27's it will be :

RWY: ARR 27L / 118.5 & DEP 27R / 118.7
or 09's
RWY: ARR 09L / 118.7 DEP 09R / 118.5

for next 6 weeks...

beech19a

Post by beech19a » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:41 pm

Has this started yet?

Headset 57

Post by Headset 57 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:52 pm

Yes, this week until early October, with sporadic landing on 27R...

beech19a

Post by beech19a » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:35 pm

Many thanks :)

mirage 2000

Post by mirage 2000 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:31 pm

Sorry if this sounds daft but does this mean they will still be landing on myrtle ave in the afternoon
as i am going down heathrow for a few days and i don't won't to walk round to myrtle and they don't change ends? :unsure: :oops:

hope it doesn't sound to stupid
regards mirage 2000

Headset 57

Post by Headset 57 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:25 pm

mirage 2000 wrote:Sorry if this sounds daft but does this mean they will still be landing on myrtle ave in the afternoon
as i am going down heathrow for a few days and i don't won't to walk round to myrtle and they don't change ends? :unsure: :oops:

hope it doesn't sound to stupid
regards mirage 2000

Yes all day, unless on 09's

EGVP
POTM winner

Post by EGVP » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:33 pm

Not sure the resident of Myrtle Avenue will be too happy about aircraft landing there, I'm sure they'd prefer they landed on 27L! ;)

mirage 2000

Post by mirage 2000 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:35 pm

Thanks Headset haha i only just realise how that sounds my apologies least the people of myrtle could start there own aircraft collection if they did :whistle: :clap: :pop:

regards mirage 2000

Headset 57

Post by Headset 57 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:27 pm

Yeh 27L is Myrtle Ave, but then the residents of Longord at 09L threshold will haVve constant take off's which are noisier.

EGVP
POTM winner

Post by EGVP » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:05 am

I still stand by the "It's an airport, it's supposed to be bleeding loud!" philosophy. The amount of people who have bought houses near airports, then complained it's too loud, is amazing!

Headset 57

Post by Headset 57 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:57 am

i moved from longford at 09L with a 15K rehousing settlement as it's now where the monorail goes from T5 to the car parks.
I now live between the 27's at 4 dme in Isleworth, so i don't get any respite from the change over at 15.00, which is good as i don't really miss stuff and i can see the departures off 09R....

Return to “London Heathrow”