Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Best place for non SLR camera shots.

Post your logs, movements and information for London Heathrow here.
Snow_Owl

Best place for non SLR camera shots.

Post by Snow_Owl » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:11 pm

Hi,

I will be going down to Heathrow at the beginning of March and wondered if there was any good spots for photos bearing in mind I only have a 3 times optical zoom compact point and shoot camera.

At my local airport I can normally get taxi-ing shots. Is this possible at Heathrow ?

Thanks for any tips you can give me.

Tim.

SamP
POTM winner

Re: Best place for non SLR camera shots.

Post by SamP » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:40 pm

There are several good spots at Heathrow that are very close to the landing aircraft. If they are inbound on Rwy 27L then Myrtle Avenue is a fantastic place for shots. Equally if they are inbound on Rwy 09L then Stanwell Moor Rd is a great spot, you can usually park on the side of the road with no problem & again you are very close to the landers. Be aware that when they are on Rwy 27 they switch runaways at 15:00 everday, Eg if they are on Rwy 27L, they will switch to Rwy 27R at 15:00. If they are on 09L they do not change runaways, however some aircraft do rarely use 09R for a landing.

Please see here for the bulk of the info: http://www.civilianaviation.co.uk/forum ... f=36&t=341" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Example of a Rwy 27L landing
And just to give an idea of how close they are
And an example of a Rwy 08L landing

Hope it helps
Sam

Snow_Owl

Post by Snow_Owl » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:41 pm

Many thanks.

I am down at a conference in Uxbridge but since I arrive at 7.30am I hope to go see a few planes and then a few more later afternoon after the conference.
I will be walking around the airport so hope it is quite easy to get around.

I am going to be coming in by coach so will be then having to go on foot. From what I can see the early morning flights will be coming in on 27R.
Is it easy to walk out the airport terminal and follow the perimeter road round towards 27R and get some shots around this area ?

Thank you.

Martin

Post by Martin » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:09 pm

Snow_Owl wrote: I am going to be coming in by coach so will be then having to go on foot. From what I can see the early morning flights will be coming in on 27R.
Is it easy to walk out the airport terminal and follow the perimeter road round towards 27R and get some shots around this area ?

Thank you.
The Coach will most likely drop you off at the Central Bus station (near Terminals 1/2/3). From here, there is a tunnel which takes you under 27R and to the perimeter road. However, I'm pretty sure it's not available for Pedestrians!

On the plus side, all local buses within the Heathrow area are free to ride on so just jump on either a 285 or a 555 bus service from the Central bus station (about every 10mins) and just get off by the BA hangars/27R threshold

Martin

Snow_Owl

Post by Snow_Owl » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:58 pm

Thankyou for your replies. They are very helpful.

I will get that bus and get off near the hangars. I'm off there tomorrow morning so hopefully will see something good.

Return to “London Heathrow”