Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Reflections of my day at East Midlands 5/1/19

Post your logs, movements and information for East Midlands here.
rhubarb

Reflections of my day at East Midlands 5/1/19

Post by rhubarb » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:51 am

It did not start well as I got their at stupid o’clock to send my relatives on holiday. I left them at the drop off only to find out I could not get out without paying ! Not very customer friendly I think ! Anyway to the end of 27 runway and my sardine and tomato sandwiches with hot sweet coffee. Spotted at least 15 jets on various aprons and estimated the movements to be one every 15 to 30 minutes. I am an enthusiastic supported of Doncaster,Sheffield,Robin Hood Airport (dsrh) all the same place you know :D. My absolute first impression was that the airfield and peri track looked a little tired and could do with a little TLC. On the plus side however all the air side buildings look purpose built and not ex military revamps. The mushroom tower and atc dominate the airfield and create a perception of modern civil aviation. Then I saw it, WOW the new DHL cargo facility. Very impressive indeed ! I noticed a Etihad cargo plane their. The locals say they carry pharmaceuticals mainly in ? They nature of the cargo’s carried by air I find very interesting indeed. Suitably coffee’d up I took a walk along the airport trail. Lots of activity here. Amazonia is being built. It is not a coincidence that Amazon have also built warehouses near to (dsrh) too ! I wonder what the strategy is behind this ? According to the locals the farmer got £30 million for the land ! “A lot of Range Rovers it will buy” would be the reaction of Yoda :) sorry I digress! Then on to look at the Marconi radar. I notice it has only the standard atz dish with no long range one present ? Can the landing system perform zero visibility recoveries for suitably equipped aircraft here ? Well it’s plain to see that (dsrh) has some way to go before they can claim to be an airfraight hub as East Midlands clearly is !
That’s your lot till the next three gallon of desiel
"A Rhubarb is a sortie of opportunity "

Martin

Re: Reflections of my day at East Midlands 5/1/19

Post by Martin » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:58 pm

rhubarb wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:51 am
Can the landing system perform zero visibility recoveries for suitably equipped aircraft here ?
Yes, R27 is calibrated for CAT3B arrivals in fog

Martin

Return to “East Midlands”