Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Security Pass Query??

Post your logs, movements and information for East Midlands here.
ROSEB

Security Pass Query??

Post by ROSEB » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:49 pm

Hi,
Just wondered if anyone has heard of a security pass - apparently required for viewing from certain areas of airport.
We called in last night approx 22.30 to the lane off A453 - motorway end of runway, crash gate at end of lane but plenty of parking room - this is a spot I have used to get photos from before, as soon as we had pulled in a police car pulled in and asked us for our passes? I questioned this as I have been going there for years and never known of a pass, I was told by the officer it had been in place for years , that it was a photo ID pass and could be obtained from the airport??
I have checked with the airport and they know of no such pass. I have no problems with the police checking the areas - it is reasuring that they do - but I`m not sure about this pass?
Any one else come across this?
thanks
Rose

Mike
Administrator, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Re: Security Pass Query??

Post by Mike » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:26 pm

It sounds like these chaps don't know what they're talking about, maybe one of the locals could answer this?

Please support our monthly photo competitions by entering and/or by voting !

ROSEB

Post by ROSEB » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:50 pm

Hi,
This is the impression I got - we`ll see if anyone else knows anything,

thanks!
Rose

andygolfer
Administrator, POTM, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Post by andygolfer » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:09 pm

they may have meant this but not presented their request correctly:

https://www.neighbourhoodalert.co.uk/da ... port_.html

similar to the excellent planewatch scheme at Stansted and other airports. The stansted one is excellent, they arrange concessionary parking when big events are on (e.g. olympics last year and Champs League final this year) and a couple of spotters days a year when they open up a normally restricted area so if they run one at EMA then it might be worth joining.
Andygolfer (or at least I was once), now just plane crazy

please support our photo competitions by entering and/or voting!
Proud winner of 2019 Air-Britain photo competition!

co-owner of UK Light Aviation Enthusiasts google group https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/uklae
and Stansted Aviation Enthusiasts google group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/stnae

my photos on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125470545@N07/

ROSEB

Post by ROSEB » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:51 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the replies, I`ve just spoken with the officer from last night, it is not a compulsory pass, but it is one they advise - the Aviation Enthusiasts Scheme, available from the airport police, will let you know anymore on this once I have application form,

thanks
Rose

Terry

Post by Terry » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:42 pm

Evening
This has been going on for quite a while, basically the idea was David Seex's of LAASI, he suggested to the authorities at Heathrow
that he/they devise a scheme where spotters carry an I.D. to identify themselves as enthusiasts.
Needless to say several police 'authorities' have hijacked the scheme , you present a submission with all your information on, they feed it into their computer to see if you are a 'baddy' and that is an end to it. Sometimes they issue an I.D. which gives absolutely no concessions at all.Sometimes you get charged for the priviledge.
Basically it is an information gathering exercise on the part of the police.
Doesn't take a genius to spot that you as a complete innocent are now on their computer.
(Don't forget information is power, never more than in modern times, ask any government.)
Meanwhile have fun.
I got a little black book with me poems in

Return to “East Midlands”