Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

QRA this afternoon ???

Post your logs, movements and information for Doncaster Robin Hood here.
rhubarb

QRA this afternoon ???

Post by rhubarb » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:36 pm

Did we really see this today ? Well there were two other anoraks with me who said we did ! Well I might’ve been a bit enthusiastic with my topic title but it was really spectacular ! We were awaiting the unloaded Astral cargo pushing back. They had a problem with this and had to shut down for a while. However what sounded like a female voice from the cotpit announced all was fixed and the huge beast trundled back ready to exit the apron via taxiway C. The runway had changed back to 20 so we expected the 747 to turn left at C1 to back track to the beginning of 20 and a 360. But they turned right ? “They must be going on 02” we all said ! But wait ! “Clear for Take off”. All four engines to full and “wow” she was away just like a QRA ! I estimate C1 to the end of 20 to be about 3/4 of the runway about 2230 mtrs. She was up in about 1000 plus mtrs. Terrific performance, what an aircraft the 747 is :thumbs: It just shows you what it can do essentially stripped of seats and the clap trap associated with passengers. I bet the pilots were ex military “top guns” chucking to themselves as they roared to 2000 ft. Thunderbird 2 was definitely go today at Robin Hood. “Wonderful stuff :D
"A Rhubarb is a sortie of opportunity "

rhubarb

Re: QRA this afternoon ???

Post by rhubarb » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:08 pm

I believe it to be twice a week. Once during the week and one visit at the weekend. My information is that they bring a full load of flowers from Nairobi. These i believe are taken by lorry straight to Coven Garden. They do it via Robin Hood as I believe the landing and handling charges are much lower than Heathrow. Also the turnaround times are much faster. When we get a brexit perhaps we can send them some exports back, instead of going back empty. I would mean less spectacular take off’s of course :D

Mike
Administrator, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Post by Mike » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:00 pm

airfixpilot wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:06 pm
Hi Guys.
How often do Astral Cargo visit Doncaster airport?, and is it always the 747?

David
David, you asked a question and rhubarb has kindly answered it for you. :whistle:

Please support our monthly photo competitions by entering and/or by voting !

rhubarb

Post by rhubarb » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:20 pm

Further to the 747-400s landing twice a week at Robin Hoods cargo apron. I have been doing some guesstimations on the value of each jumbo’s load ! A 747-400 has an approximate cargo payload of 112,760,000 grams. One bunch of supermarket flowers I have weighed at 500 grams. These retail at £15 each. If I allow for packaging of let’s say for easy figures 760,000 grams. That gives us about 224,000 bunches of flowers per Boeing 747-400. With a staggering retail value of £3,360,000 per jumbo jet :whistle: no wonder they air a great air freight cargo !

Return to “Robin Hood (Doncaster Sheffield)”