Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Which 18-250 zoom?

If you are looking to buy new gear and need advice or would like to review your equipment for the membership please use the Tech Talk sub forum
wiggy
POTM & SPOTM winner

Which 18-250 zoom?

Post by wiggy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:21 pm

Hi,

I'm thinking of upgrading my main-stay lens before Christmas; (I currently use the Tamrom 28-300 LD Aspherical IF which I have had for years, firstly on my film Canon and for the last couple of years on my Canon EOS 40D). I'd very much like to keep the same zoom range as it works quite well for me and have narrowed down the choice of replacement to two as follows

Tamron AF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD
Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM IF

I've had a look at various reviews on the web for both, some of which give conflicting information especially concerning the relative sharpness of the two lens. Does any one have either of these lens who could give me the benefit of their experience? The two areas I am especially interested in are

i) Sharpness of images across the zoom range (one of the reports mentioned that the Sigma is soft in the mid-range around 135mm)
ii) speed of auto-focus and ability to maintain focus while panning (a comparison review of both lens said the Sigma was better at this)

Having had my Tamron for a good number of years (and been pretty happy with it) I am well versed in the compromises that a zoom of this range entails. From my reading so far I am, on balance, favouring the Sigma but would be concerned if there is actually a noticeable soft patch in the sharpness at 135mm Any information that would help me tip the balance in favour of one or other of the two lens would be very much apreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Denis.

Return to “Tech Talk”