Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Camera Help Please Canon Fd to EF lanses

If you are looking to buy new gear and need advice or would like to review your equipment for the membership please use the Tech Talk sub forum
paulgreen3

Camera Help Please Canon Fd to EF lanses

Post by paulgreen3 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:06 pm

Hello. I have a Canon A1 which since I bought a Fujifilm 6900, I have not used it since. My Fugi is now old and too slow so I will be looking for an SLR digital camera to replace it. The thing is, I have a selection of lenses with my Canon that I would really like to use with a suitable replacement camera. I'm not particularly botherer about their electric incompatability because it is all about using what you've got and compensating.

Without going into great detail, I have a 500mm fixed telephoto lense, a 3 time converter, a wide angle lense and several filter lenses. I may have others, but I can't remember.

I regret to say that I know sod all about the lenses except they are fitted with bayonet adaptors that I fitted to them to enable me to use them with the Canon.

What I need to know is which camera or camera could I buy that would accommodate my lenses, that is an SLR digital? I hate going into camera shops because they always want me to buy something that they are pushing to sell and NOT the kind of camera that I want or need!

Any advice would be most welcome please? Thank you.

Spyderleader

Re: Camera Help Please

Post by Spyderleader » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:56 pm

Are they Tamron Adaptall 2 lenses, by any chance?

Unfortunately, you will be unable to use Canon FD lenses, with modern Canon camera, as when the EOS system came out, the fitting was changed from FD to EF.
Wanna buy a secondhand airfield?

paulgreen3

Post by paulgreen3 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:26 pm

I have no idea! How can I tell?

The camera is not with me right now but I should have it later today and I will see if there are any markings on them?

What does FD mean and EF mean? If it has something to do with the electrification of the lenses so the camera does not connect electrically, I think I could cope with that on the grounds that I don't wish, if possible, to have to lay out more cash for new lenses when what I have would work for me, I think, quite well, that is, if I can get them to connect?

I will have the camera in a hour or so and I will add a further reply when I have looked more closely?

Thank for now and I'll talk later.

paulgreen3

Post by paulgreen3 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:53 pm

I have the instruction booklet for my Canon A1 and it tells me that it uses FD lenses and each lense has a chrome Breech-lock mounting ring or for an FL ring.

It would seem that, from what you say, I may not be able to get a camera with a Compatible fitting?

Spyderleader

Post by Spyderleader » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:57 pm

Hi Paul. Sorry for the late reply.

I have no idea what FD or EF means either, but the FD lenses were used by non auto focus cameras. When the EOS auto focus system was launched, they redesigned all their lens mounts and called them EF lenses. The FD lenses could not be used on the newer canon cameras.

The Tamron Adaptall 2 lenses, with the aid of the right lens mount, could be used on any camera, eg if you had the 70-200mm lens and a Canon FD, Nikon Ai (I think), Pentax K, Olympus OM or Minolta MD mount, you could use that lens on Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus and Minolta cameras. When the Canon EOS EF mount came along, Tamron never made a mount for it, so you couldn't use their lenses on EOS EF camera, but although an independent company did and was reasonably successful, they are very rare and difficult to get hold of.

I think what I'm trying to say is, unless you have a Tamron Adaptall 2 lens and a rare Canon EF mount, you will be unable to use your FD lenses on a new Canon camera.

PS. Have just checked out ebay and apparently there are adaptors available for you to use your FD lenses, on EF (EOS range) cameras. :o
Wanna buy a secondhand airfield?

Return to “Tech Talk”