Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Hi From Somerset

Introduce yourself here and feel free to ask any "newbie" questions that any of the beginners to the hobby have
stu52

Hi From Somerset

Post by stu52 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:51 pm

Hi

My name is Stu and I live in sunny Norton Fitzwarren on the outskirts of Taunton in Somerset

I have always loved all things that fly either military and civilian.

I am also a member of the Fighter Forum

I have now taken some time out from my other passion wildlife photography to have a go at some aviation stuff.

I use the Nikon D7100 with the Sigma 150/500 lens really like this setup but still learning all the settings etc its so more advanced compared to my trusty old Sony A300.

I have also just bought my first scanner the uniden 125 with the Watson 901 antenna fitted and am getting some fantastic hits from afar as Cardiff even Newquay seemed a logical choice its just as interesting listening to them as well as capturing them on film.

It would be brilliant to meet some of you Somerset guys and maybe get some tips and advice beers on me :thumbs:

andygolfer
Administrator, POTM, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Re: Hi From Somerset

Post by andygolfer » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:05 pm

welcome to the forum Stu, looking forward to your contributions

andy
Andygolfer (or at least I was once), now just plane crazy

please support our photo competitions by entering and/or voting!
Proud winner of 2019 Air-Britain photo competition!

co-owner of UK Light Aviation Enthusiasts google group https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/uklae
and Stansted Aviation Enthusiasts google group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/stnae

my photos on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125470545@N07/

stu52

Post by stu52 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:51 pm

Hi Andy

cheers for the welcome mate

I have posted up some pics hope you like them

regards stu

mach one
POTM winner

Post by mach one » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:54 am

Hi welcome to the forum, I am just trying out some wildlife pictures having mainly concentrated on aviation and motorsport in the past

stu52

Post by stu52 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:59 am

mach one wrote:Hi welcome to the forum, I am just trying out some wildlife pictures having mainly concentrated on aviation and motorsport in the past

Hi Mate

cheers for the welcome

how did the wildlife pics turn out there probably the hardest subjects to shoot as they are so unpredictable and never stay still for long enough as you then push the shutter release oops one shot of there backside with no head :lol:

mach one
POTM winner

Post by mach one » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:03 pm

stu52 wrote:Hi Mate

cheers for the welcome

how did the wildlife pics turn out there probably the hardest subjects to shoot as they are so unpredictable and never stay still for long enough as you then push the shutter release oops one shot of there backside with no head :lol:

wildlife shots are still work in progress, I live on the doorstep of cors dyfi which is one of the managed osprey nest sites in wales so i have been spending time down there trying to get flying osprey shots we also have an abundance of red kites around here as well so trying to get some shots of them in the wild and at the feeding stations that they have around here, and if I get fed up trying to get shots of the birds i can sit in the back garden and shoot fast jets in the loop

stu52

Post by stu52 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:25 pm

mach one wrote:
stu52 wrote:Hi Mate

cheers for the welcome

wildlife shots are still work in progress, I live on the doorstep of cors dyfi which is one of the managed osprey nest sites in wales so i have been spending time down there trying to get flying osprey shots we also have an abundance of red kites around here as well so trying to get some shots of them in the wild and at the feeding stations that they have around here, and if I get fed up trying to get shots of the birds i can sit in the back garden and shoot fast jets in the loop

wow osprey nests close by and the loop in your back garden you are so lucky mate :thumbs:.

I have Norton manor camp on my doorstep and get a few low level merlin helicopters over head most days.

Also I have a couple of very nice RSPB bird sanctuaries about 20mins away.

Swell Wood has quite a few heron nests as well as tons woodland birds and the wetland reserve Grey Lake offers loads of water fowl and birds of prey. I have had some great results from both of them

Danseaman

Post by Danseaman » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:38 am

Hi Stu,

I'm also local (Weston-super-Mare)

If your up at Bristol anytime drop me a message as you might catch me on a rare day off :roll:

Dan
Canon 90D 6DII, Canon 24-105L, Canon 100-400II L

stu52

Post by stu52 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:59 am

Danseaman wrote:Hi Stu,

I'm also local (Weston-super-Mare)

If your up at Bristol anytime drop me a message as you might catch me on a rare day off :roll:

Dan
Hi Dan

Many thanks for the warm welcome mate :thumbs:

I do fancy getting up to Bristol airport one day for a photo session do you ever go there ? would be great to meet up and get some pointers as to best spots to get them magic pics etc

cheers stu

Danseaman

Post by Danseaman » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:01 pm

See my post here Stu,

http://www.civilianaviation.co.uk/forum ... tol#p78421

These were taken from winters lane which is the main spotting spot for the locals (step ladder required) You can also spot from Felton common which is on the 27 approach. Id be happy to show you around sometime. I'm up there 1 or 2 times a month maybe more if something special is due in (Not very often at BRS) :lol:

I'm usually free on Sunday's if that works for you!

stu52

Post by stu52 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:38 pm

Danseaman wrote:See my post here Stu,

http://www.civilianaviation.co.uk/forum ... tol#p78421

These were taken from winters lane which is the main spotting spot for the locals (step ladder required) You can also spot from Felton common which is on the 27 approach. Id be happy to show you around sometime. I'm up there 1 or 2 times a month maybe more if something special is due in (Not very often at BRS) :lol:

I'm usually free on Sunday's if that works for you!
Hi Mate

wow those pics are awesome I would love to do a trip up with you mate that would be fantastic I'm free most weekends now. what sort of special stuff gets into Bristol?

cheers stu

Danseaman

Post by Danseaman » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:33 pm

Give me a PM when your thinking of coming up Stu, if you type into Google, Bristol airport mayfly then you'll be able to see what's due in the next 2 weeks, to be honest we probably get about 2 aircraft a month that are of real interest.

stu52

Post by stu52 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:22 pm

Danseaman wrote:Give me a PM when your thinking of coming up Stu, if you type into Google, Bristol airport mayfly then you'll be able to see what's due in the next 2 weeks, to be honest we probably get about 2 aircraft a month that are of real interest.
Hi Mate

That's brill mate will check through some dates and PM you to see if it works for you try to pick a sunny day as well.

Cheers for the link will check it out and see if anything of interest is coming in.

cheers stu

james143611

Post by james143611 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:22 pm

Welcome Stu, look forward to seeing you about at Bristol maybe!

Danseaman, didn't realize you are a Bristol regular, probably have seen you a few times before!

stu52

Post by stu52 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:37 am

james143611 wrote:Welcome Stu, look forward to seeing you about at Bristol maybe!

Danseaman, didn't realize you are a Bristol regular, probably have seen you a few times before!

cheers for the welcome mate would be brill to meet you at Bristol one day for a few tips and a chin wag the coffees will be on me :thumbs:

cheers stu

Return to “The Newbie Forum.”