Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

S.A.R. Scrambles ???

rhubarb

S.A.R. Scrambles ???

Post by rhubarb » Sat May 28, 2016 11:35 pm

Hi All,
Been down the S.A.R. Coast Guard / Bristow hangar this afternoon. I was hoping to see a scramble especially as 912 cab was out on the pan. Bingo, the crew came out for what I believe was a training excercise in the Peak District. I do hope the five minute trundle out by 912 on its wheels to runway 02 for a slow lift off was not the proceedure for a real rescue ? I would expect the crew on a rescue sortie to run out to the cab and after cotpit checks to be granted immediate clearance to lift straight off from the pan outside the S.A.R. hangar. After all five minutes could be critical to a trawler that is sinking in the North sea :roll:!
Unfortunately I cannot see if the pan is marked with a "H" as a designated helipad as the road improvement team have put double yellow lines on the road opposite the pan ! Don't you just love em !
Perhaps someone can enlighten me about the proceedure for a rescue scramble :???:
"A Rhubarb is a sortie of opportunity "

250canam

Re: S.A.R. Scrambles ???

Post by 250canam » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:12 pm

If the aircraft's callsign was Coastguard 912 then no rush implied and standard airport departure procedures apply - even for a training exercise. On the other hand if a callsign of Rescue 912 (meaning it's the real thing) was used then a fast departure would have been observed with the rest of us airport users having to wait for them to go. If you look at an aerodrome chart (CAA or Pooleys etc) there are no helipads currently shown by the SAR facility - however the CAA AIP Amendment service shows that wef 21 July 2016 there are in fact two helipads marked. The threshold of runway 26 was displaced past the SAR facility for landing after the SAR apron. I feel sure the helipads were evident when I landed on 26 last week! Hope that helps. Trust me, if they have to go in a hurry they do so.
Ian W - pensioner and LAPL(A) holder.

rhubarb

Re: S.A.R. Scrambles ???

Post by rhubarb » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:16 pm

Cheers Ian !

The new cabs are very nice and seem to be faster than the old raf sea kings. What is their cruise ground speed ? About 120 knots perhaps ?
I did know the difference between a coastguard and rescue sortie that is why I asked for info on a live scramble.
Do you fly into Doncaster, Santoft or other local airfields close to me ? Did you get to have a close look at the Canadian Lanc last summer. Many with air side access were made welcome I believe !

Cheers and thank you for the reply :thumbs:
"A Rhubarb is a sortie of opportunity "

Return to “Humberside”