Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Photo Flying Days, Zoersel, Belgium

This area is for all current civilian images less than 5 years old. A limited number of military photos (guideline up to 10%) may be included if they add to the overall theme. No topics with links only please.
Skymonster
POTM winner

Photo Flying Days, Zoersel, Belgium

Post by Skymonster » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:59 pm

A few taken at the Photo Flying Days and Zoersel, Belgium over the 18th-20th August...

More pics (mainly warbirds) are in: http://www.civilianaviation.co.uk/forum ... =73&t=8443" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tipsy Nipper OO-LEO

Speed Canard D-ENWG

Speed Canards D-ENWG and OO-DYN

Beech V35 Bonanza N3BR

Slingsby Firefly G-BXKW

Dornier Do27s D-EFFB and D-EIBE

Speed Canard D-ENWG

Yak-52 G-CBSS

Short Skyvan G-BEOL (camera-ship) and Speed Canard D-ENWG

The camera ship was the Skyvan G-BEOL (photographers harnessed and strapped in)... A great weekend and a great experience - just don't ask how much!

Andy
AlphaMike/Skymonster
"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are no old bold pilots"
"Light travels faster than sound; that's why some people appear to be bright until they speak"
Alpha Mike Aviation Photography

Mike
Administrator, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Re: Photo Flying Days, Zoersel, Belgium

Post by Mike » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:52 pm

Great shots Andy - I am rather jealous and have just turned green ! :lol:

Please support our monthly photo competitions by entering and/or by voting !

Paul Zietsman
POTY & SPOTM winner

Post by Paul Zietsman » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:55 pm

Skymonster,

There is no other word for it but stunning. Brilliant photographs, I am really jealous. Give us a bit more of an insight of the day(s).

Regards,

Paul

Skymonster
POTM winner

Post by Skymonster » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:04 pm

Thank you for the kind words - but I am just an amateur when it comes to air-to-air photography...
Paul Zietsman wrote:Give us a bit more of an insight of the day(s).
http://www.air2air-academy.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The website says most of it, but essentially aviation photographers can - at a price - attend an organised once a year academy for air-to-air photography - starting with theory and best practice, moving through safety, culminating in a two hour ride in a Short Skyvan (everyone fully harnessed and tethered into the aircraft) where a variety of photo planes are put up behind the Skyvan for the photographers to shoot. The Skyvan takes ten photographers at a time - and all get a good view. Aside from the Skyvan flight, there were a variety of other flights available - some paid, some free - such as open canopy flights in the T-6 and Yaks, through to rides in spare seats in the photo planes. It all happened over several days at Zoersel airfield, near Antwerp in Belgium, and was combined with a weekend flyin at the airfield so there was stuff going on all the time.

It was great fun and a fantastic experience - I'd do it again without hesitation... The only problem is that standing on the ground taking pictures isn't quite the same any more!

Andy
AlphaMike/Skymonster
"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are no old bold pilots"
"Light travels faster than sound; that's why some people appear to be bright until they speak"
Alpha Mike Aviation Photography

Paul Zietsman
POTY & SPOTM winner

Post by Paul Zietsman » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:52 am

Andy,

Thanks for the background and the link. It looks fascinating. I shall have to start a special savings account and hope my better half does not find out!

Regards,

Paul

Return to “Current Civilian Photography”