Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Daffodil Fly In: Fenland 13/4/19

This area is for all current civilian images less than 5 years old. A limited number of military photos (guideline up to 10%) may be included if they add to the overall theme. No topics with links only please.
Gavinlivsey

Daffodil Fly In: Fenland 13/4/19

Post by Gavinlivsey » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:47 pm

My first proper visit to Fenland. Billed as an Open Day/Spotters Day but obviously someone changed their mind and it was clear on arrival at the cafe that there would be no access. As they were to use runway 08 I decided to park on the approach. Very slow start but the sun came out and by late morning arrivals were stacking up. I counted nearly ninety visitors up to 3pm.

A few tasters here, many more at https://www.flickr.com/photos/102327393 ... 638872013/

ImageYak-18T LY-CCP by Gavin Livsey, on Flickr

ImageLuscombe 8A Silvaire G-AJKB by Gavin Livsey, on Flickr

ImageBeech 18 G-BKGL by Gavin Livsey, on Flickr

ImageFokker DR.1 Triplane replica 425/17 (G-DREI) by Gavin Livsey, on Flickr

ImageCessna 172 G-ASOK by Gavin Livsey, on Flickr

ImagePitts S.2A G-PITZ by Gavin Livsey, on Flickr

ImageEvans VP-1 G-PFAH by Gavin Livsey, on Flickr

ImagePA-22-108 Colt G-CBEI by Gavin Livsey, on Flickr

ImageEV-97 G-LOSY by Gavin Livsey, on Flickr

ImageCessna 177RG Cardinal N278SA by Gavin Livsey, on Flickr

andygolfer
Administrator, POTM, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Re: Daffodil Fly In: Fenland 13/4/19

Post by andygolfer » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:55 pm

very nice set Gavin despite the lack of access (that was a shame), looks like you found a good view point nevertheless.

thanks for sharing them
Andy
Andygolfer (or at least I was once), now just plane crazy

please support our photo competitions by entering and/or voting!
Proud winner of 2019 Air-Britain photo competition!

co-owner of UK Light Aviation Enthusiasts google group https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/uklae
and Stansted Aviation Enthusiasts google group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/stnae

my photos on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125470545@N07/

Paultojo
Administrator, POTM, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Post by Paultojo » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:15 pm

Very nice Gavin :thumb:
C&C always welcome

Paul

My images at Jetphotos.net

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8620037@N05/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gavinlivsey

Post by Gavinlivsey » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:17 am

Thanks guys. Just realised that I should have put this in the events section :oops:

bunglebilly
POTM & SPOTM winner

Post by bunglebilly » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:44 pm

Lovely set Gavin nice to see some nice old frames still knocking about.
Must be a whole different experience flying the Evans VP-1 and Triplane Replica (with replica machine gun holes ;)

Cheers
Paul

Caravelle 10R

Post by Caravelle 10R » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:09 pm

Fenland is my local. Being a regular and social member I do know there is a bit of a debate at the moment on access. There was a regrettable mishap at an event in August when a taxiing helicopter went down. Fortunately the rotors parted but didn't impact the nearby visitors line.It has seriously raised concerns of liability if a mishap occurs. They also last year had a hangar broken into and engines stolen. Combination of events has lead to the current restrictions. A number of Flyers who hangar their aircraft are very reluctant for access to be granted, understandable if you have turned up one day to find your aircraft with no engine. One thing that has concerned them is photographs inside hangars, appearing on the internet which enables thrives to pinpoint accurately what the are looking for.
Its disappointing when this happens to access but Fenland is still worth a visit. 105 aircraft visited for the flyin. A couple of Saturday's ago they had 65 visitors. As stated 08 approach is excellent for photos. 18 is very accessible and good take off shots are possible if 36 is in use, you can shoot quite successfully from the clubhouse. 26 I have never tried as the road tends to be quite busy.
Hopefully things may change and they may decide to offer more access again in the future.

Gavinlivsey

Post by Gavinlivsey » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:25 am

Caravelle, I fully understand the reasons why but the airfield website did, and still does today, have the event billed as such. It wouldn't have been too difficult to amend it. I had sent a message via the website many weeks ago asking what to expect and never had a response. That said, it didn't really detract from what turned out to be an enjoyable day. Fenland is only 40 minutes away so I will definitely be back.

Caravelle 10R

Post by Caravelle 10R » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:21 pm

Probably a reflection of the internal politics going on at the moment. Would agreed it's not good, but the previous post was trying to give an overview not an excuse. I'm on this side of the fence as an enthusiast and appreciate I get tolerated but always aware situation could change.

PorkScratching
POTM & SPOTM winner

Post by PorkScratching » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:54 pm

There does seem to be an increase in restrictions at GA airfields over the past couple of years, and I know from various sources (e.g. the Flyer Forum) that a lot of it is driven by engine and avionics thefts. Obviously enthusiasts are not stealing them, but a thief could easily masquerade as one, and as pointed out above, photos of residents (especially in hangars) posted on the Internet could easily be of use to thieves :(

Apache123

Post by Apache123 » Fri May 10, 2019 12:15 pm

it is a shame upon reading this i always found fenland to be a great airfield for access anf knowledgeable souls in the clubhouse. that being said i havent been for afew years and do agree although i am a photographer permission should be sort and if allowed the wishes of the airfield operator should be adhered to

regards

apache123

Return to “Current Civilian Photography”