Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Heathrow 09R Departures

This area is for all current civilian images less than 5 years old. A limited number of military photos (guideline up to 10%) may be included if they add to the overall theme. No topics with links only please.
Cessna954
POTM & SPOTM winner

Heathrow 09R Departures

Post by Cessna954 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:09 am

Many thanks for the comments back on the BA retro BOAC banking shots i posted on Tuesday. Now I've had chance to catalogue, sort and process my other photographs from the day out.

Firstly, I've never seen the park at Feltham so busy with enthusiasts on a weekday, usually I'm all on my own but on this occasion, no doubt because of the opportunity to photograph the BOAC banking in unseasonal sunshine, there were 10 of us in the park and maybe another 10 up on the earth mounds next to the arena.

The unseasonal weather did have a down side, after a cold night (we had a frost in Somerset but probably not around Heathrow) the temperature differential between ground and air lead to very bad distortion and it was a case of taking a series of shots as an aircraft passed hoping that at least one would be in clean air. Thankfully, when posted at 1600 pixels it doesn't really show too badly unless a real big crop on something like an A318 or Dash 8.

My main camera settings were aperture on or as close to f8 as possible and shutter speed between 800 and 1250 so adjusted ISO to get the above. From late morning I stopped down the by 1/3EV to minimise glare off the fuselage but could have probably gone to 2/3EV.

C&C really welcome, particularly on:

White balance - I've overridden the AWB in the camera and gone for a true neutral look - any views?
Blues - I do struggle with tweaking the contrast so as to get natural and consistent blue skies and generally get inconsistent results

ImageNational Police Air Service Eurocopter EC.135 G-TVHB by Neil D. Brant, on Flickr

ImageAir France Airbus A321-211 F-GTAE in Skyteam livery by Neil D. Brant, on Flickr

ImageAustrian Airlines Airbus A320-214 OE-LBL by Neil D. Brant, on Flickr

Another one of these (G-VBUG) was withdrawn and sent to the desert this week, so get them whilst you can
ImageVirgin Atlantic Airbus A340-642 G-VWEB 'Surfer Girl' by Neil D. Brant, on Flickr

ImageAer Lingus Airbus A320-214 EI-DVM in retro livery by Neil D. Brant, on Flickr

ImageMalaysia Airlines Airbus A350-941 9M-MAD by Neil D. Brant, on Flickr

ImageVirgin Atlantic Airbus A330-343 G-VGBR by Neil D. Brant, on Flickr

ImageSingapore Airlines Airbus A380-841 9V-SKZ by Neil D. Brant, on Flickr

ImageLufthansa Airbus A320-214 D-AIWE by Neil D. Brant, on Flickr

ImageAir Canada Boeing 737-8 Max C-FSIL by Neil D. Brant, on Flickr

ImageQANTAS Boeing 787-9 VH-ZNF by Neil D. Brant, on Flickr

ImageEL AL Boeing 787-9 4X-EDE by Neil D. Brant, on Flickr

ImageBritish Airways Boeing 787-9 G-ZBKL by Neil D. Brant, on Flickr

ImageBritish Airways Boeing 747-236 G-CIVY by Neil D. Brant, on Flickr

ImageQatar Airways Airbus A350-941 A7-AME by Neil D. Brant, on Flickr

ImageWhooper Swans and an American Airlines Boeing 777-223ER by Neil D. Brant, on Flickr

If the above wasn't enough lots more can be found at https://www.flickr.com/photos/25034864@ ... 389354008/

thanks

Neil

Paultojo
Administrator, POTM, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Re: Heathrow 09R Departures

Post by Paultojo » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:28 am

A classy set of images Neil :thumb:
C&C always welcome

Paul

My images at Jetphotos.net

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8620037@N05/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

andygolfer
Administrator, POTM, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Post by andygolfer » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:16 pm

very nice Neil and thanks for the info on the settings. I've never fiddled with the white balance in case I mess up my photos! interesting approach though.

wish I could help on the blue contrast as that's a problem I have - it can be a real pain.

love the swans as well!
Andy
Andygolfer (or at least I was once), now just plane crazy

please support our photo competitions by entering and/or voting!
Proud winner of 2019 Air-Britain photo competition!

co-owner of UK Light Aviation Enthusiasts google group https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/uklae
and Stansted Aviation Enthusiasts google group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/stnae

my photos on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125470545@N07/

bunglebilly
POTM & SPOTM winner

Post by bunglebilly » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:14 pm

Thats a great set Neil :D
It is difficult when panning to judge how much -EV compensation is required, very easy to blow out the whites. Like you i would welcome any tips on getting consistant blue skies (Although living in Manchester they are mainly grey anyway)
Cheers Paul

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:23 am

A very nice set of images and the swan shot is a very clever composition.

Return to “Current Civilian Photography”