Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Stansted 1st visit

This area is for all current civilian images less than 5 years old. A limited number of military photos (guideline up to 10%) may be included if they add to the overall theme. No topics with links only please.
mach one
POTM winner

Stansted 1st visit

Post by mach one » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:03 pm

I was down in the cambridge area for the Little Gransden airshow on sunday staying overnight so Monday morning i made my fist ever visit to Stansted, I arrived at Belmer road to find that runway 04 was being used it was 9.00am and sun was shining making photography quite difficult

Image740A1471-1 by machone photos, on Flickr

Image740A1483-1 by machone photos, on Flickr

Image740A1495-1 by machone photos, on Flickr

they are three of the more interesting movements from the morning, as i said shooting into the sun was challenging, I was also surprised at how small the mound was, it must get very busy on that tiny bit of real estate when there are some interesting movements

andygolfer
Administrator, POTM, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Re: Stansted 1st visit

Post by andygolfer » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:14 pm

you got the Sun Country 737!!!!! - I missed it, was going over but ran out of time :grr:

the sun is a bit of a challenge from there in the mornings so you did very well.

Yes the small mound is a bit cosy, more than 5 people and it's elbow to elbow! I usually take steps now and stand at the back of the mound to make sure I can get pics above the fence line (I sometimes catch a head or two though). The bigger one near the aerial usually has space but the fence is more of a problem (definitely need steps) and you miss anything that comes down the taxiway offering a nice head on shot. The small one is definitely best if you can get on it.

andy
Andygolfer (or at least I was once), now just plane crazy

please support our photo competitions by entering and/or voting!
Proud winner of 2019 Air-Britain photo competition!

co-owner of UK Light Aviation Enthusiasts google group https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/uklae
and Stansted Aviation Enthusiasts google group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/stnae

my photos on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125470545@N07/

mach one
POTM winner

Re: Stansted 1st visit

Post by mach one » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:25 pm

there was a few locals turned out for the sun country, there was also lots of talk about the plus ultra, but due to the 230 mile trip home and the potential of hitting the bank holiday traffic and work on tuesday i couldn't hang around much after midday

I would like to spend more time in this area and get over to lakenheath, mildenhall, and spend some more time at stansted but work always seems to get in the way

Return to “Current Civilian Photography”