Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Zyb Lily Jet!

This area is for all current civilian images less than 5 years old. A limited number of military photos (guideline up to 10%) may be included if they add to the overall theme. No topics with links only please.
ChrisCwmbran

Zyb Lily Jet!

Post by ChrisCwmbran » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:35 pm

I can't say I really know what these three private jets are - whilst I know my airliners pretty well these really aren't my thing. However it was my first outing with my new Canon EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens so I wanted to take some shots. Hopefully some of you will know what they are and enjoy seeing them!

These were taken on 27th Feb 2016:

ImageZyb Lily Jet by Chris Long, on Flickr

ImageManchester #1 by Chris Long, on Flickr

ImageManchester #2 by Chris Long, on Flickr

mach one
POTM winner

Re: Zyb Lily Jet!

Post by mach one » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:48 pm

three nice shots :thumb:

I am like you when it comes do Biz jets and don't really know one for the other but i do know the last one is a net jets Embraer Phenom

how did you find the new lens are you happy with the first impressions of it?

ChrisCwmbran

Post by ChrisCwmbran » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:57 pm

mach one wrote:three nice shots :thumb:

I am like you when it comes do Biz jets and don't really know one for the other but i do know the last one is a net jets Embraer Phenom

how did you find the new lens are you happy with the first impressions of it?
I'm very pleased with it. I look more photos than I uploaded, and they all seem very sharp - right across the zoom range. The lens is quite heavy but I'm used to using the 70-200mm f2.8 L IS lens with the 2.0x II extender which at a guess weighs pretty much the same.

I'm looking forward to taking this lens to Heathrow on a nice sunny day, and to its week at Coningsby during May. I need a Canon 1.4x III extender now!

pig hunter

Post by pig hunter » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:18 am

with a 1.4 x you will not get the kind of definition u get from the 100-400 v2....I have tried.....

u using a 1.6 x body?

try a Sigma 150-600!!!

best

cm

Tony_B

Post by Tony_B » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:18 am

The first is a Bombadier BD - 700 Global Express, the second is a Hawker Beechcraft 400A Beechjet operated by Gestair.

Re 1.4 Converter. No mention of the body you use. If it´s a crop camera then you may want to check first to see whether you have autofocus with it. I don´t think you will.

mach one
POTM winner

Post by mach one » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:25 am

a quick look at flickr suggests that you are using the 7D mk11 with the new 100-400 mk11 which should be a killer combination and as it is on the 1.6x crop sensor on the 7D mk11 you will have the equivalent focal length 160-640mm due to the crop sensor

I used to have the 7D mk1 and the 100-400m k1 and it would function with a 1.4 converter but it was slow and unreliable so i would not use a converter on it and preferred to get the extra bit of crop if needed in post processing

this said i have heard good things about the new 100-400 mk11 with the 1.4x mk111 converter being used on the 7Dmk11 with good results so as long as you go for the latest version of the 1.4x converter you may be OK

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index. ... ic=24599.0

http://dancarrphotography.com/blog/2015 ... -extender/

for anybody interested there is some info on this combo which suggests it may work OK

AlanP
POTM & SPOTM winner

Post by AlanP » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:13 pm

Another vote for 100-400 mkII. I had the mkI for a while which was pretty good but the mkII is on a different level. Very sharp & the IS is so much better than the mkI. Nice shots Chris :thumb:

Return to “Current Civilian Photography”