Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Popham Toy Balloons 2007

Only nostalgic and wrecks & relics photography in here please, nostalgic posts should be over 5 years old.
LondonEye
POTM & SPOTM winner

Popham Toy Balloons 2007

Post by LondonEye » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:57 pm

The first permanent register of UK civil aircraft began in 1919 running till 1928 covering sequence G-EAAA to G-EBZZ. Then a new sequence beginning G-AAAA was started. All ran in order with just a few specific exceptions such as G-BSST for Concorde. Then in 1974, out of sequence registrations were opened up to anyone.

A few folk were not happy with this and a few weird things were registered in protest. I recall that one was supposed to be a metal manhole cover !
Then, supposedly, some desired to get their name in print on the UK Register. Whatever the reason, so called “Toy balloons” started to get registered. Some of these, as you will see, are basically plastic bags.
Eventually, a special series covering G-FYAA to G-FYZZ ran from 1982 to 1986 to cover Minimum Lift Balloons.

In 2007, at Popham, a marquis had a display of some of these balloons. It was a bit surreal to see enthusiasts eagerly jotting down regs of some of these plastic bags.
Our hobby is fun. Enjoy.
Pete.

ImageUnicorn UE-1 G-BJGM G-BJSX G-BINR Popham

ImageAvenger T200 G-BIGM G-BHMM Popham

ImageEuropean EDH1 G-FYDC Popham

ImageLindstrand RR-21 G-UNRL Popham

ImageOsprey Mk4A G-BJTZ Popham

ImageOsprey Mk4 G-BJSF G-BJSC Popham

Mike
Administrator, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Re: Popham Toy Balloons 2007

Post by Mike » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:37 pm

I've never actually seen any of these toy balloons and I found it to be an absolute joke when the CAA decided that they all required registrations, what a mad decision that was!! :whistle:

I think that the first out of sequence registration was the Aviation Traders Accountant prototype G-ATEL in 1957, it was designed to be a replacement for the DC-3 but went down like a lead balloon (no pun intended) !! Good old Freddie Laker, he was never short of ideas. :lol:

Interesting shots of them though. :thumb:

Please support our monthly photo competitions by entering and/or by voting !

marpleman
Location: Marple Bridge, Cheshire, overlooking approach into EGCC

Post by marpleman » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:32 pm

"Bag For Life" anyone???

I agree, it was an absolute joke wasn't it?

But, if it warranted an "underlining" in that years CAM...................................

I can remember going on several Cheshire Aviation Society coach trips back in the day, and almost the entire committee team had "balloons" with them on the back seat of the coach

I know a lot of "spotters" ignore microlights, but they are the equivalent of the Antonov 225 compared to these monstrosities !!

Great memories though!

Rich

acw367
POTM & SPOTM winner

Post by acw367 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:18 pm

Awesome post. In modern times I would love to see an EASA examiner trying to work the Continuing Airworthiness paperwork and maintenance schedules for these.
Canon PowerShot SX740 HS - https://www.flickr.com/photos/acw367

Belmont

Post by Belmont » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:39 pm

Now I know what a toy balloon looks like.

Return to “Nostalgia and Wrecks & Relics”