Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

World Vintage Air Rally 1990

Only nostalgic and wrecks & relics photography in here please, nostalgic posts should be over 5 years old.
Cessna954
POTM & SPOTM winner

World Vintage Air Rally 1990

Post by Cessna954 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:52 pm

When I lived in the Thames Valley White Waltham was one of my local airfields and I frequently dropped in to see if anything of interest was about. Going back to 1990 and over the course of a couple of visits it became evident that a good number of American registered vintage and classic aircraft were starting to appear. I can't recall but I guess asking around the local enthusiast community came up with the answer that they were assembling for a Rally from London to Sydney and that they would leave on a Sunday morning in March. In the days of film (I was using AGFAChrome at the time) I generally photographed a selection of aircraft at any event or location, so the following represents only part of the participants.

I've found a great first hand account of the Rally from one of the entrants, worth a read;- https://next-horizon.org/expeditions/wo ... air-rally/

The aircraft were largely shipped in and assembled in the West London Aero Club hangars. Fairchild Argus and Bellanca 14-13.
ImageBellanca 14-13 Crusair N86811 & Fairchild F.24 Argus N16855 by Neil D. Brant, on Flickr

This Cessna 340 acted as the Rally support aircraft
ImageCessna 340 N2677B by Neil D. Brant, on Flickr

This American registered Tiger Moth (N524R) lead the Rally, well as far as le Touqet where it crashed on landing that afternoon.
Imagede Havilland DH-82A Tiger Moth N524R by Neil D. Brant, on Flickr

Howard DGA 15P
ImageHoward DGA 15P N66546 by Neil D. Brant, on Flickr

There were a good number of classic V-tail Bonanza
ImageBeechcraft A35 Bonanza N548B by Neil D. Brant, on Flickr

This Zimbabwe registered Bonanza was a great catch back in the day
ImageBeechcraft 35 Bonanza Z-YGZ by Neil D. Brant, on Flickr

Cessna 140
ImageCessna 140 N140 by Neil D. Brant, on Flickr

Cessna 170
ImageCessna 170 N4101V by Neil D. Brant, on Flickr

Stinson 108
ImageStinson 108 Voyager N4184C by Neil D. Brant, on Flickr

Stinson V-77 Reliant
ImageStinson V-77 Reliant C-GFUX by Neil D. Brant, on Flickr

This Tri-Pacer had an all female crew and completed the Rally taking 13 months
ImagePiper PA-22 Tri-Pacer N1542P by Neil D. Brant, on Flickr

AT-6 Harvard
ImageNorth American AT-6C Texan N4995A / 42-495 by Neil D. Brant, on Flickr

Bellanca 14-13 Crusair Senior
ImageBellanca 14-14 Crusair Senior N86811 by Neil D. Brant, on Flickr

I've not posted all the pics and there's a few more Cessna 170s and Bonanzas in my Flickr album https://www.flickr.com/photos/25034864@N06/

Many thanks for looking

Neil

Nighthawke

Re: World Vintage Air Rally 1990

Post by Nighthawke » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:10 pm

Neil this is a great post with every one a gem! I would see a Zimbabwe-registered aircraft as a catch anytime. Thanks for posting.

Mike
Administrator, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Post by Mike » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:52 pm

What a wonderful post Neil, I must admit that I don't remember this happening but what a variety of amazing aircraft and lovely shots of them too! :)
I've only been to White Waltham once (around 1980ish, I'd have to check ye olde logge booke), but I do remember that there was loads of vintage aircraft there that were very rarely seen elsewhere and were great gap-fillers for me in CAM. :thumb:

Please support our monthly photo competitions by entering and/or by voting !

LondonEye
POTM & SPOTM winner

Post by LondonEye » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:56 pm

I remember that event well - and it was pure luck for me. Happened to visit on the Saturday by chance. Quite a few enthusiasts around, and there was a freedom to wander.
Great to see the rarer ones that you photographed.
:thumbs:
Pete.

Cessna954
POTM & SPOTM winner

Post by Cessna954 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:28 pm

I've only been to White Waltham once (around 1980ish, I'd have to check ye olde logge booke), but I do remember that there was loads of vintage aircraft there that were very rarely seen elsewhere and were great gap-fillers for me in CAM.
To the left of the entrance was a white nissen hut and in that lived Leopard Moth G-APKH with its wings folded. I seem to recall, according to CAM, that it was owned by a Mr Franklin and seldom flew. I wonder if it made it in to your log. The large black former RAF hangars used to be home to the Leisure Sport WW1 replicas that displayed at Thorpe Park and various shows at the time.

Many remember White Waltham for what happens at 2:46 in the youtube clip link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XlSaJGtF5g
Happened to visit on the Saturday by chance.
I have a few shots from the Saturday, you may well be in the background?

Neil

LondonEye
POTM & SPOTM winner

Post by LondonEye » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:46 pm

Great shots on FlickR too. Cannot see myself in any of the Album pics.
The YouTube is great. Although I have seen it before, the 2.46 shot is absolute gold.
cheers Neil,

Pete.

I saw G-APKH at Greenham Common Airshow in 1980. Static had a small display of DH types.

Return to “Nostalgia and Wrecks & Relics”