Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Slingsby Sky HB-561 Defford Built 1952

Only nostalgic and wrecks & relics photography in here please, nostalgic posts should be over 5 years old.
Uuoret

Slingsby Sky HB-561 Defford Built 1952

Post by Uuoret » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:39 pm

I owned this glider, sometimes in a syndicate, and flew it from Aboyne in Royal Deeside.

This particular aircraft was originally owned by Hans Nietlispatch in Switzerland, who flew it in a straight line from his local airfield to Avignon in France, crossing the Alps in 1954.

It was (and I believe still is) the longest straight line distance by a Swiss glider.

It would soar on a fart, but penetration was awful. I had several flights of over 5 hours in her.

18m/60ft wingspan - it was horrendous in the rolling plane, taking both hands to hold it in a thermal. Loved it though!!!

acw367
POTM & SPOTM winner

Re: Slingsby Sky HB-561 Defford Built 1952

Post by acw367 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:33 pm

Very nice. Not bad to be part of that syndicate. I flew many Slingsby vintages in the mid-90s owned by others with the RAFGSA including Barge, Swallow, Capstan and Grasshopper. Gave it up 20 years ago, but that looks a sweet ride.

Cheers ACW367
Canon PowerShot SX740 HS - https://www.flickr.com/photos/acw367

Return to “Nostalgia and Wrecks & Relics”