Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

BN2A MkIII-2 Trislander G-BDOS

Only nostalgic and wrecks & relics photography in here please, nostalgic posts should be over 5 years old.
Uuoret

BN2A MkIII-2 Trislander G-BDOS

Post by Uuoret » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:15 pm

Edinburgh old terminal 1976 departing to Inverness with Captain Barney Barron

Last edited by Uuoret on Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike
Administrator, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Re: BN2A Mk3-2 Trislander G-BDOS

Post by Mike » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:57 pm

Nice shot, what a character Barney was - he was a legend. :thumb:

Please support our monthly photo competitions by entering and/or by voting !

Uuoret

Post by Uuoret » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:10 pm

Hi Mike,

Yes he was!

I remember Ted Rawcliffe (another real character) told us about when Barney got his driving licence back, having been banned for DD.

To celebrate, he had a couple of sherbets at INV when the day's flying was done, got in his car, drove towards the roundabout and instead of turning left, he pulled back on the steering wheel and ended up stationary on the roundabout......I don't think plod was impressed.....

I also remember Ted landing at EDI a couple of times with the pogo stick still in place all the way from INV....

Ahhh, these were the days!

J :)

Mike
Administrator, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Post by Mike » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:36 pm

Ha ha! :lol: I don't know how true that story is, but there were no roundabouts anywhere near INV airport in those days, maybe it was the one at the Raigmore Interchange on the outskirts of Inverness?

I remember Ted well also, one of them got into the cockpit after all of the passengers had boarded and he was wearing dark glasses and tapping a white stick all the way from the terminal, I think that was Barney though.

Another time one of them had a coat over his uniform and was sitting at the back of the aircraft, when all of the passengers had boarded and nothing happened for a few minutes, he got up and said loudly "Well if no-one else is going to fly this bl**dy thing then I'd better do it", stormed down the aisle, into the cockpit, started it up and flew it to Glasgow. :lol:
I think that was when they flew Dakotas with BEA(?).

I've never heard of the pogo stick one, I quite believe it though!

Happy days. :lol:

Please support our monthly photo competitions by entering and/or by voting !

Return to “Nostalgia and Wrecks & Relics”