Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

BA base 1974

Only nostalgic and wrecks & relics photography in here please, nostalgic posts should be over 5 years old.
PaulN

BA base 1974

Post by PaulN » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:21 am

Hi

When I statred with BOAC back in 1973 it was a different world , I used to work on the 9th floor ofTBC ..on top of the car park which gave great views :clap: I used to walk from the Aerial Hotel around to work , and it was quicker just to walk across the ramp , where some of these were taken ...I wish I had taken more :( These are from 1974 when BOAC and BEA were megiging to form BA , hence BA titles on the A/C but still BOAC on the buildings . The Airtours 707 had a twisted fuselage after a heavy landing , if I remember right some where in Greece (Salonika :???: ) and was ferried back to LHR . The last shot is from the car park's 7th floor

Thanks for looking

Paul

andygolfer
Administrator, POTM, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Re: BA base 1974

Post by andygolfer » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:36 am

more super memories, some great aircraft and pics

thanks for posting them Paul

Andy
Andygolfer (or at least I was once), now just plane crazy

please support our photo competitions by entering and/or voting!
Proud winner of 2019 Air-Britain photo competition!

co-owner of UK Light Aviation Enthusiasts google group https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/uklae
and Stansted Aviation Enthusiasts google group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/stnae

my photos on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125470545@N07/

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:30 pm

Oh halcyon days - proper planes and proper liveries. :cry:

Nurse.....!

EGNH1909
SPOTM winner

Post by EGNH1909 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:33 pm

What a place to work! Brilliant pics - thanks for posting them. Pete.

PaulN

Post by PaulN » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:38 am

Thanks for the comments guys :clap:

Found a few more to post later

Cheers

Paul :thumb:

marpleman
Location: Marple Bridge, Cheshire, overlooking approach into EGCC

Post by marpleman » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:41 pm

I've not been on the forum for a while, but really kicking myself for joining these threads late.

Paul, your posts on her are splendid, and bring back so many great memories of our hobby , which in my opinion was at it's height from the mid 70's through to the late 80's before Airbus and Boeing (737) took over the world.

I used to love travelling down to Heathrow from Manchester on a Friday night, arriving in the early hours of Saturday morning, the coach crawling through the BA complex, with so much anticipation from all on board, as there was almost always something unusual tucked away out of sight from the main airport buildings. Then over to Car Park 2, before finally onto the Queen's Building until early evening.

Fantastic times!

Thanks so much for taking the time to post these wonderful shots

Rich

PaulN

Post by PaulN » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:15 am

Hi Rich

Sorry for the late reply :( Thank you very much for you comments on my posts , glad you are enjoying them :clap

It was a good time to start spotting back then ...I started going to Heathrow about 1962 as well as Northolt many good memories :thumb: Never , to my shame did I go to Manchester , easy buses from Heathrow was the old Green Line 727 which went to both Gatwick and Luton

Thanks for looking , will find some more from LHR soon

Happy New Year to all :thumb:

Cheers

Paul

Return to “Nostalgia and Wrecks & Relics”