Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

NASA B747 & Shuttle at Heathrow

Only nostalgic and wrecks & relics photography in here please, nostalgic posts should be over 5 years old.
LondonEye
POTM & SPOTM winner

NASA B747 & Shuttle at Heathrow

Post by LondonEye » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:07 pm

Back in 1983, NASA sent it's B747, complete with Shuttle to the Paris air Show.
Either before or after,it did a flypast on the northern runway at Heathrow.
If my memory is right, it did some other flypasts, and landed at Stansted ?
Anyone else got memories or pictures ?
Pete.

ImageB747 NASA N905NA 3 Heathrow

andygolfer
Administrator, POTM, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Re: NASA B747 & Shuttle at Heathrow

Post by andygolfer » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:02 am

It arrived at Stansted after the Paris show on a sunday afternoon, stansted has never been so crowded. I was there early morning to get prime spot, with a frined. We left his car there the night befor -car parking was frr in those days. I dropped him off and parked in stansted village then CYCLED to the airport on a folding bike which knackered me. The stansted aviation society did a roaring trade that day! It did fly across
London first, no FR24 in those just a primitive air band radio to try to listen out so it was more down to mk.1 eyeballs. It stayed for about 3 days and I believe it flew over Birmingham and Manchester when it left. It also landed at Fairford on the way to the show. Fairford was actually an emergency landing site for the shuttle which would have been interesting if it ever happened! It may have gone elsewhere in Europe before or after the show as well.

I've got some pics of it somewhere. As a publicty stunt l remember Air Uk bringing a Shorts 360 out near the shuttle/747combo for a naming ceremony 'Enterprise' as per the shuttle. An interesting couple of days

Great pic btw
Andy
Andygolfer (or at least I was once), now just plane crazy

please support our photo competitions by entering and/or voting!
Proud winner of 2019 Air-Britain photo competition!

co-owner of UK Light Aviation Enthusiasts google group https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/uklae
and Stansted Aviation Enthusiasts google group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/stnae

my photos on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125470545@N07/

scarba

Post by scarba » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:02 pm

I saw it doing a low approach/overshoot at Glasgow Airport during its visit to the UK.
It was supposed to fly over the Rolls Royce factory at East Kilbride on its way south but got lost and never appeared there!

PorkScratching
POTM & SPOTM winner

Post by PorkScratching » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:12 pm

I saw it fly over Birmingham. Love the Air UK shed naming story Andy!

Chris IL-76

Post by Chris IL-76 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:02 am

My father saw it in Fairford. I was in Paris for the Airshow and missed it completely!! Doh

EGNH1909
SPOTM winner

Post by EGNH1909 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:03 pm

I was on a boat (on a fishing trip) in the Firth of Clyde, just south of the Isle of Bute on the day it returned back to the US. We thought it was going to overfly Prestwick just to the south of us, so I had my camera on the boat ready, only to see it pass very high up to the north of us! Got one shot, but its just a dot in the sky! Can't win them all!

Return to “Nostalgia and Wrecks & Relics”