Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Anyone remember the Barnstormers?

Only nostalgic and wrecks & relics photography in here please, nostalgic posts should be over 5 years old.
Mr Redd

Anyone remember the Barnstormers?

Post by Mr Redd » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:52 pm

I wondered if anyone remembers the Barnstormers Flying Circus, a sort of 'Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines' outfit from the Seventies? I recall seeing them perform at a number of shows but I think they only appeared once at Liverpool, during the 1972 'Wings over Merseyside' air display on Saturday 29 April. I was there with my dad on the day when this bloke came over and said the Barnstormers were a bit shorthanded and would we like to help them out with their display? So we ended up as lookouts in the back of a van barreling across the grass field while under attack from flour-bombs hand-thrown from the low flying 'enemy' planes. I also ended up holding up one of two Limbo poles with an attached rope (which had been soaked in petrol and then set alight!) while the pilots flew their planes underneath. Great fun! :Wow:

I don't know who the pilots were at the time but here are photos of three of the aircraft used in the display:

DH82A Tiger Moth G-ADIA.

DHC-1 Chipmunk 22 G-ARGG.

Tipsy Nipper T66 G-AVKT. Sadly, just four months later, this aircraft was destroyed in a crash during a display at Burton Constable Hall in Yorkshire on 19 August 1972.

Hope this stirred some memories! :thumb:
Last edited by Mr Redd on Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dave H - wrecks and relics photographer.

Check me out on Flickr: Mr Redd, wreckhunter

Mike
Administrator, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Re: Anyone remember the Barnstormers?

Post by Mike » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:29 pm

I don't remember the Barnstormers in the '70s but love these shots. :D

I see you've managed to capture the Rothman's Stampes behind the Chippy, I'd completely forgotten about them - saw them loads of times. The Nipper looks like a little model aeroplane parked in front of the JPs !

Keep them coming please, your shots are excellent. :) :thumb:

Please support our monthly photo competitions by entering and/or by voting !

Mr Redd

Post by Mr Redd » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:35 pm

Mike wrote:I don't remember the Barnstormers in the '70s but love these shots. :D

I see you've managed to capture the Rothman's Stampes behind the Chippy, I'd completely forgotten about them - saw them loads of times. The Nipper looks like a little model aeroplane parked in front of the JPs !

Keep them coming please, your shots are excellent. :) :thumb:
Will do Mike, cheers :cool:
Dave H - wrecks and relics photographer.

Check me out on Flickr: Mr Redd, wreckhunter

Arm Waver

Post by Arm Waver » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:13 pm

The Barnstormers formed 50 years ago this year. I remember do remember them.
There is a group & a page on Facebook that many of the original members/pilots/crews are part of.
Thanks for sharing these pictures.

stevep22
POTM winner

Post by stevep22 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:44 pm

Certainly do - spot landings, shredding toilet rolls, flour bombing, limbo.......... Did a great day at Doncaster in 1972 or 1973.

Steve

waghorn41

Post by waghorn41 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:56 pm

Fond memories, they were based at Sywell and I saw them quite a few times. Somewhere in my collection I've probably got a photo or two...

marpleman
Location: Marple Bridge, Cheshire, overlooking approach into EGCC

Post by marpleman » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:16 pm

Great shots !

I certainly remember them fondly. A bit like watching an aerial version of "Tiswas" !!!

Brilliant stuff!!!

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:44 pm

waghorn41 wrote:Fond memories, they were based at Sywell and I saw them quite a few times. Somewhere in my collection I've probably got a photo or two…
That's where I first saw them display. Happy days.

Return to “Nostalgia and Wrecks & Relics”