Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

First Flight

Only nostalgic and wrecks & relics photography in here please, nostalgic posts should be over 5 years old.
exbrat

First Flight

Post by exbrat » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:09 pm

In July 1952 my girlfriend and I decided to visit London Airport, taking a coach from Gillingham, Kent to Victoria coach station and a Greenline coach to the airport. I cannot recall what buildings existed at the time, but we were surprised to see that pleasure flights were being made in a De Havilland Rapide.

I enquired of my girl friend (GF) if she would like to have a trip? Hesitating at first she finally agreed to take her first flight. I had chalked up all of about 20 hours in the RAF by then, as a passenger of course. I think we had to cross an active taxi way, well probably not very active, to reach the ticket office (a shed!) to purchase our tickets. I believe these cost 10 shillings each (50p today).

We boarded the aircraft, together with a few other hardy souls and taxied to the active runway. A circuit over the Staines reservoirs and we were back on the ground after about five minutes in the air. Nevertheless my GF was impressed with this mode of transport, but it was to be a few more years before her next trip.

While rummaging through some bits and pieces recently I came across a rather faded negative I had been looking for for ages, you know how it is? So having scanned it and improved it as best I can, here is the Rapide in which my GF and I enjoyed out first flight.

Twenty-four years later, 2nd July 1976 to be exact, we returned to London Heathrow, (my GF was now my wife) to take another somewhat different flight. This time it was a Boeing 747 of TWA to Chicago and then a Northwest DC-10 to Seattle. This took a little longer than the original trundle round the circuit!

GOOSE

Re: First Flight

Post by GOOSE » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:59 pm

Great story and always nice to see a Rapide. :thumb:

ZZ330

Post by ZZ330 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:05 pm

This took a little longer than the original trundle round the circuit!
Probably cost a bit more than 10 shillings as well...

Nice story, wish I had a photo of the first ac I flew in... it was a BMA Viscount from B'ham to Heathrow and back but no idea what year other than I was about 10-12 years old.

ZZ :thumb:

beech19a

Post by beech19a » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:07 pm

Very nice nostalgic shot.

exbrat

Post by exbrat » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:14 pm

Thanks gents, those were the days!!!
exbrat

Return to “Nostalgia and Wrecks & Relics”