Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Aviaco DC8-52 EC-ARC Departing Edinburgh 1977

Only nostalgic and wrecks & relics photography in here please, nostalgic posts should be over 5 years old.
Uuoret

Aviaco DC8-52 EC-ARC Departing Edinburgh 1977

Post by Uuoret » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:44 am

I should think Mike will remember this lot (in more ways than one!)

Sunday flights, they always left at least half and hour late as members of the crew booked a taxi before arrival to take them to the Sunday market at Ingliston. At the time, this was the largest open air market in Europe, strangely called "Spook Erection".....(you couldn't write it!!)

The DC8's always left with full tanks, regardless of the pax load, having previously passed apocryphal figures for the loadsheet.....

They were also known for selling duty free goods to the ground staff!!

Mike
Administrator, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Re: Aviaco DC8-52 EC-ARC Departing Edinburgh 1977

Post by Mike » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:10 am

We sadly didn't have much dealings with them when I worked in Flight Catering, I don't know if they even had an account with us and they probably didn't want to part with their cash for mundane things like hot water & ice for the passenger's drinks. :lol:
DC8s were quite a rarity as they normally used DC9s, nice shots though John. :thumb:

Please support our monthly photo competitions by entering and/or by voting !

Uuoret

Re: Aviaco DC8-52 EC-ARC Departing Edinburgh 1977

Post by Uuoret » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:38 am

The DC9's - they were even worse when it came to refuelling. I remember the Esso tanker pumping into the port fuel tank whilst it was pouring out of the starboard. Had to get the fire service to wash down the apron before it could start. Again, full tanks on the load sheet would have made it significantly overweight. I can't remember where they went to from Edinburgh, it may have been Gran Canaria. If it was, I guess they would be on fumes when they arrived.....

Return to “Nostalgia and Wrecks & Relics”