Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

The Moon Ring - 1st December 2012

Landscapes,portraits,sports - anything really as long as it's not offensive.
SamP
POTM winner

The Moon Ring - 1st December 2012

Post by SamP » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:48 pm

Was putting the rubbish out before bed last night when I was met with this incredible sight, a halo surrounding the moon. My first reaction as I'm sure you can understand was where's my camera!

After a bit of research it turns out this is a Moon Ring (or Winter Halo). A phenomenon caused by the refraction of light in tiny ice particles in the upper atmosphere, and only appears on a cold winters night around the time that the moon is in it's full phase. What makes this sight even rarer is the fact that it can only be effectively observed at a certain angle, and only lasted for around 2 hours from midnight onwards.

It made for a fascinating sight, and just to give you an idea of the size of the ring, the first image was taken with my wide angle at just 15mm.

Moon Ring by Samuel Pilcher, on Flickr

Moon Ring by Samuel Pilcher, on Flickr

Sam

Mike
Administrator, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Re: The Moon Ring - 1st December 2012

Post by Mike » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:16 pm

Great shots Sam, I've seen this a few times but didn't realise that it was a rarity !

Please support our monthly photo competitions by entering and/or by voting !

caerus

Re: The Moon Ring - 1st December 2012

Post by caerus » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:34 pm

Better shots than mine Sam! Well caught. I was really struck by the beauty of it.

Return to “General Photography”