Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Model help

Any questions on modelling-techniques ? Post your query here.
viper3111

Model help

Post by viper3111 » Wed May 26, 2010 11:23 am

Hi all,

This thread is for all those technical question with regards to building plastic model kits, so if you need help then please feel free to ask them on here :thumb:

The Cameraman
SPOTM winner

Re: Model help

Post by The Cameraman » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:15 pm

Good Evening Chaps n Chapesses,

well after asking which civvy stuff I'd like to see as a model, it looks like I've talked myself back into modeling, after a 35 year break (thanks Viper)!

So I've got myself a pair of beautiful 1/32nd Revell, Piper Super Cubs (one on floats and the other standard landplane) and I need to go out and buy some basics.

This is where you guys come in!

There must've been many advances in glues, paints, filler and techniques, so can I ask for recommendations?

I can't afford to spend money on airbrush kit, as I've recently been made redundant, so it'll be a budget build.

Any suggestions, comments, what to do and what not to do would be really appreciated.

Thanks for bringing me back to the hobby.

By the way, the last kit I built was my favourite ever aircraft, an Airfix 1/72nd Beaver (on floats) and reckon it was that very kit that got me into float flying in later life!

Regards

Reggie

viper3111

Post by viper3111 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:50 am

Well, as this is my fault I think I should be able to help out :lol:

As you say things have moved on a bit with regards to glues etc. I will give you some help but for now if you want to have a quick read of this link it may shed some light. Its quite good although it is about a spitfire rather than a civy but I know the author personally (its me :ninja: ) and most of the tools and techniques are the same. http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/v ... 290&t=3089.
If you dont want to go into airbrushing then I will see if I can get some of the none airbrushing members over on FC to give you some advice as they have done exceptional work with just paint brushes and cans of spray paint :thumb:

If you havnt found what you are after on that then please dont hesitate to ask :clap:

Oh yeah, sorry mike (Flaps) for linking to a military site but as its our own I hoped you wont mind :halo:

The Cameraman
SPOTM winner

Post by The Cameraman » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:35 am

Hi Viper,

that's just about perfect for me!

I really appreciate your help on this one.

Looks like I'm booked up for the weekend but will take my time in re-reading your link and, before going shopping on Monday!

At least I don't need any help with the photographic side of things!

Regards

Reggie

Return to “Modelling technical-tools & tips”