Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Pan Am 707, Russian kit ?????????

Use this section to post photos and progress of your build,start a new thread for each model.
benyboy

Pan Am 707, Russian kit ?????????

Post by benyboy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:27 pm

Ever seen one of these ?

All I know is it is very rough :D and has the cockpit glazing missing but i`m not complaining, it cost me four quid at Elvingtons model show.
I will fill the cockpit windows and paint them to match the decals. I dont know if to risk the old decals or buy new ones.
I think I will wait to see what the group or comp builds are before I paint it.

Ben

viper3111

Re: Pan Am 707, Russian kit ?????????

Post by viper3111 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:21 pm

That dosnt look a bad kit Ben :thumbs:

I will happily do a group build or even a comp (with nice prizes) but it needs more people to start joining in on the section as me and you dont warrant a group :P .

Come on people, Im sure some of you build model aircraft

Mark G

Post by Mark G » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:09 pm

Looks ok Ben, I'd build that if I were you. The aftermarket decals I've bought for airliners have always come with 'cockpit glass' decals, I used them on my BOAC 707 and they look fine :) :thumb:

Trident 3B

Post by Trident 3B » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:41 pm

Give it a go Ben,looks ok from here.thinking of gettin the revelle caravelle or the revelle flybe 146 if we're havin a group build. :) :) :)
you can follow me on http://seasideaviationphotography.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And http://twitchersphotography.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

viper3111

Post by viper3111 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:43 am

Excellent, thats what I like to see.

I can run more than one Group build, but I was thinking along the lines of civil russian airliners/aircraft for the first one. If any one has any ideas for group builds they would like to see please feel free to reply to my 'group build' thread and I will sort things out :thumbs:

benyboy

Post by benyboy » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:48 pm

Thank you for the comments and advice guys.
Beer Monster I realy like your BOAC 707 :thumb:

I have started tonight ( a Friday night in making models :???: :cry: :lol: )
The fuse is going to take a lot of cleaning up, the top off the tail looks like it has been chewed by a dog :mad:

It looks like I am going to have to buy some new decals, the old ones are stuck to the protective cover. To be expected I suppose :P
So I am going to get it put together, filled cleaned up and primed. Then when the group build starts I will get some decals.

Viper if you think this would be better in the `work in progress` section please move it.

Ben

viper3111

Post by viper3111 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:01 pm

Now you mention it, I think that will be a better home for it.
Im looking forward to seing this. Any ideas on the scheme as I think there are quite a few to choose from for this airframe :thumb:

benyboy

Post by benyboy » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Hi Viper

It is 1 144

I am with you on the other thread, I would like to see more 1 72 airliners.

Thank you for the links. I like the British Airways decals a lot. But if somebody had some spare BOAC Transport decals going spare, say Beer Monster for example :halo: :whistle: I think I would go for that scheme.

It is looking aeroplane shaped now so it will be a Saturday night in filling for me I think :roll:

Ben

viper3111

Post by viper3111 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:56 pm

Its not looking bad at all Ben,
If you wanted to do a 72nd version you could always get the AMG kc-135A or heller c-135 kit (theres one for sale on FC :whistle: ) and add some civy decals like these pan am ones http://www.twosixdecals.co.uk/epages/62 ... ucts/72-03

http://www.twosixdecals.co.uk/epages/62 ... ucts/72-55

http://www.twosixdecals.co.uk/epages/62 ... ucts/72-56

Now these are nice http://www.twosixdecals.co.uk/epages/62 ... ucts/72-59

http://www.twosixdecals.co.uk/epages/62 ... ucts/72-65

Sorry Ben I got a bit carried away then, this company seems to do some realy nice sets including the air atantique DC-3 :thumb:

Any way back to Bens build :blush:

benyboy

Post by benyboy » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:48 pm

Thanks for those. Pan Am :grr: :lol: I`m a big Howard Hughes fan so it will be TWA on the`big one`.
So who is going to do the AA Dak. I would like to but I already have three kits on the go :roll:

I have a feeling this is going to get very green :lol:

You should be able to see here (my camera is :grr: ) that the undercarriage plugs in rather than having a `real` bay so I am going to fill the holes and put it on a stand.

Ben

benyboy

Post by benyboy » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:59 pm

:mad: :grr: :mad: :grr: Ive had a total disaster with this one.
The white acrylic I used did not cover very well. I tried a second coat, that has now turned into a lumpy bumpy horrible mess :cry:
I am going to have a go at rubbing it down but its not looking good :roll:

Ben

Mark G

Post by Mark G » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:19 pm

benyboy wrote: I like the British Airways decals a lot. But if somebody had some spare BOAC Transport decals going spare, say Beer Monster for example :halo: :whistle: I think I would go for that scheme
Just had a look at my left over BOAC decals Ben, and I dont have enough for a complete set. I do have a complete BA set that came with the original Airfix kit..only problem being they dont come with window decals and I notice your model doesn't have windows!!
Your more than welcome to these if they're any use to you? :thumb:

Mark

viper3111

Post by viper3111 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:07 am

Sorry all once again for my absence,

Just out of interest Ben, what acrylics did you use?

All I can really say is try some vallejo airbrush cleaner on some kitchen roll and slowly remove the paint. Don't use to much and I would recommend trying it on a piece of scrap styrene from this kit just to make sure it wont harm the kit. I don't think it should but its best to be safe. This stuff will remove acrylic paint, there are also other acrylic paint removers on the market but again please be careful as to not damage the kit.

If this doesn't work then the only other option really is to get the wet and dry paper out and sand it smooth.

benyboy

Post by benyboy » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:06 pm

I guess I will have to stop being so tight :D Thank you anyway :thumb: I like the BA Cargo in one of the links Viper gave me.

I used a Humbrol Pro Modellers acrylic. Its not good :roll: I will have a look what there is in the model shop next time I in Hull. I never thought of that so thank you Viper. I knew it was a good idea to wait for your imput before getting stuck into rubbing it down :lol:

Ben

viper3111

Post by viper3111 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:25 pm

I find it always to start with the simple things first, but as I said please try it on a scrap piece of styrene from this kit just to make sure. As I think it is alcohol based it shouldnt harm it, its cellulose thinners that will sometimes melt styrene as this is what revell contacta is made from and you know how that works.

Im here as normal now Ben so any probs please post it or PM me and we can sort it out. Worse comes to worse bring it along to newark and I can have a look but I think you should be ok.

Return to “Modelling Work-in-progress.”