Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Who flies the scrappies?

james143611

Who flies the scrappies?

Post by james143611 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:39 pm

One thing that I've always wondered, who actually takes the scrappies in?

Lets take the Saudi 747 for example. If a pilot from the airliner took it from Saudi Arabia to Kemble, how does he/she get back, theres not a flight out of Kemble that just happens to be going that way. Does that person get a lift/taxi to the nearest airport that has a flight going to Saudi Arabia?

If it's someone from the company at Kemble, then I guess he/she gets a taxi/lift to an airport that has a flight going there, and trained to fly a 747?

Always wondered how these one way trips are done.

James.

Spyderleader

Re: Who flies the scrappies?

Post by Spyderleader » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:20 am

The airlines crews flew the Cathay Pacific B747's when they came in a few years ago. We were chatting to the captain that brought them and sent them images of their arrival. I think they may taxi the crews back to Heathrow and they catch the next available flight back to wherever they came from.

I believe this may happen to all of the aircraft that arrive.
Wanna buy a secondhand airfield?

Mike
Administrator, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Post by Mike » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:08 pm

That's what I would have thought, driven to Heathrow (or somewhere similar), then back home on a scheduled flight. :)

Please support our monthly photo competitions by entering and/or by voting !

mozzer

Post by mozzer » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:16 pm

I was chatting to a taxi driver a few years ago at kemble who was waiting for the arrival of an A340 I think it was, to take the crew straight back to Heathrow.

Sean Mac

Post by Sean Mac » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:39 pm

mozzer wrote:I was chatting to a taxi driver a few years ago at kemble who was waiting for the arrival of an A340 I think it was, to take the crew straight back to Heathrow.
Yeah they don't hang about most of the crews are whisked away as soon as they land back to Heathrow for there flights home not much they can do staying at Kemble once the paper work is done ;-)

Sean
Equipment
Canon EOS 450D
PSR-295 with a Skyscan Desktop Antenna.

Return to “Kemble”