Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Thistle Hotel viewing balcony - Important.

Post your logs, movements and information for London Heathrow here.
Mike
Administrator, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Thistle Hotel viewing balcony - Important.

Post by Mike » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:15 pm

This is now a "no go" zone for spotters and is only available for guests that can produce their room key, you cannot even use it even if you have bought a drink in the hotel.
To be honest, it was only a matter of time before this happened as many spotters were bringing in their own food & drink and not spending a penny on the premises.

EDIT 27/06/18 :- It seems to depend on which particular staff are on duty who gets in and who doesn't, but in general they don't seem to mind individuals that are quiet, well behaved and buy food & drink from the premises.
I don't think any spotters/photographers can expect to be guaranteed access if they are in groups, and should be prepared to be turned away.

Please support our monthly photo competitions by entering and/or by voting !

FlyingDutchman

Re: Thistle Hotel viewing balcony - off limits to non-reside

Post by FlyingDutchman » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:23 pm

Mike wrote:This is now a "no go" zone for spotters and is only available for guests that can produce their room key, you cannot even use it even if you have bought a drink in the hotel.
To be honest, it was only a matter of time before this happened as many spotters were bringing in their own food & drink and not spending a penny on the premises.
I was taking photos on the viewing balcony at the Thistle Hotel on Monday (as a non-guest). I walked straight up the steps and asked staff where I could find the bar and balcony. I bought a drink and some pitta with hummus and I didn't experience any problems. I reckon they might make a decision based on how many people are on the balcony etc.

ringway

Re: Thistle Hotel viewing balcony - off limits to non-residents.

Post by ringway » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:33 am

I can confirm the post by the flyingdutchman. I used the viewing / bar area on June 17 without any problem. I was by myself and there were only two other people up there and they looked like guests.
Ringway

Mike
Administrator, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Re: Thistle Hotel viewing balcony - Important.

Post by Mike » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:56 am

Thanks for the updates, chaps. :thumb:

It seems to depend on which particular staff are on duty who gets in and who doesn't, but in general they don't seem to mind individuals that are quiet, well behaved and buy food & drink from the premises.
I don't think any spotters/photographers can expect to be guaranteed access if they are in groups, and should be prepared to be turned away.

Please support our monthly photo competitions by entering and/or by voting !

Return to “London Heathrow”