Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

The Newbie Forum - an introduction.

Introduce yourself here and feel free to ask any "newbie" questions that any of the beginners to the hobby have
Mike
Administrator, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

The Newbie Forum - an introduction.

Post by Mike » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:13 pm

This section has been created to help all those who are new to the hobby to have their "newbie" questions answers, and also to enable those of you that are new (or old !) to the forum to introduce themselves. :)

Anything is welcome in here, no matter how basic the question may be, the team and forum members will do their best to answer your questions. Seen an abbreviation you need explaining? Spotted an aircraft you need identifying? What will you see at your nearest airfield? This is the place for those questions.

Please support our monthly photo competitions by entering and/or by voting !

glenham

Re: The Newbie Forum - an introduction.

Post by glenham » Fri May 01, 2015 9:10 am

Hi, my name is Glenham. have been interested in aviation for a long time.

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri May 01, 2015 3:36 pm

Hi Glenham and welcome aboard. :thumb:

DonCorbata

Post by DonCorbata » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:24 am

I had to click POSTREPLY to get here - where I hope I can introduce myself as seems to be the normal thing. If I am in the wrong place, it is because POSTREPLY was the closest thing I could find to get on the 'introduction' page! Sorry!
Anyhow, I'm registered as DonCorbata and I'm an old geezer who gets confused. I intend to post a few questions under Satellite Technology Usage (probalbly in the wrong place) and I would welcome serious answers from those who read the questions. Thank You!

Fullenglish

Post by Fullenglish » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:18 pm

Hi,
My name is Phil and I used to be an avid aircraft spotter and have now refreshed my interest, bought myself an airband receiver.
I live in Loughton Essex and right over my garden is a large area of sky where I see a lot of air traffic. Some of it is heading at high altltude heading West which I asume is translantic traffic going to the US / West Indies /South America.
Other traffic is obviously inbound to Heathrow/Gatwick I presume.

What I would like to know is; The aircraft coming over me straight at fairly low altitude, probably 9,000 ft heading West is traffic leaving the hold at Bovingdon going into Heathrow/Gatwick, and is this the traffic I pick up on 120.025 mhz West Drayton / London Control ?

Also could you give me a frequency for the traffic holding in the Bovingdon stack which I often see circling left away from me?

I would be ever so greatful if you could help me with this. It takes me back to my school days. and I am sixty three now going on 16. :D

Phil

PorkScratching
POTM & SPOTM winner

Post by PorkScratching » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:09 pm

I can help you a little - I live a few stops down the Central Line from you.

The westbound high level traffic is indeed generally destined for North America. You'll generally hear it on 127.430 (which is actually 127.425 with a narrow bandwidth due to the new 8.33MHz spacing which you may not be familiar with having recently returned to the hobby). Eastbound traffic from North America to Europe that also passes overhead is generally on this frequency too.

West Drayton is no more - most of their functions have transferred to the new centre at Swanwick in Hampshire.

The traffic ~9000ft is inbound to Heathrow from the Lambourne hold. Heathrow Approach on 119.725 is the frequency for this, and for the traffic in the hold itself.

Fullenglish

Post by Fullenglish » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:34 am

Hi,
My name is Phil and I have only just realised that this is the way to formally introduce myself.
I'm so glad that I have found a website that is for aircraft enthusiasts such as myself. I let the hobby dwindle back in 1979 and have always been interested in aviation, so I have just bought myself an airband radio being a Tecsun 66o which I find great.
I now have to get my aircraft recognition up to scratch as "in the day" they were tridents, 737's vc10's caravells etc. I'm sure you know what I mean.
I've already had a very helpful comment regarding a question I had and I hope that in the future I may also be able to contribute.

KInd regards
Phil
Ah. I'd like to have an argument, please. ... Receptionist: Well, It's one pound for a five minute argument, but only eight pounds for a course of ten.

Mike

Post by Mike » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:08 pm

Hi Phil, welcome to CA and welcome back to this mad hobby. :thumb:

Have you tried FR24 yet?, here's a link to it :- http://www.flightradar24.com/51.72,-0.02/10

I use the free version, you'll get chucked-out after 30 minutes but just refresh the page and you'll get another free half hour (and so on !) If you have any issues with it then just shout, there's loads of different settings and it even has a "replay" facility.

Have fun. :)

Mike

Post by Mike » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:00 pm

Hi again Phil, thanks for the email and I'm glad you like FR24 - if you have any problems with it then just post here and we'll give you some assistance. :thumb:

Fullenglish

Post by Fullenglish » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:09 pm

Mike,
Thanks again. I've already established a few aircraft coming my way this afternoon as it was nice and sunny and the cloud was quite high.
My next task is get the frequency they are using as they leave the hold and pass over my house. :roll:
Phil
Ah. I'd like to have an argument, please. ... Receptionist: Well, It's one pound for a five minute argument, but only eight pounds for a course of ten.

PorkScratching
POTM & SPOTM winner

Post by PorkScratching » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:53 am

As discussed by email, it is 119.725 - listen out for aircraft being cleared to leave Lambourne on a westerly heading and you will then see them pass over you.

andygolfer
Administrator, POTM, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Post by andygolfer » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:09 pm

Fullenglish wrote:Hi,
My name is Phil and I have only just realised that this is the way to formally introduce myself.
I'm so glad that I have found a website that is for aircraft enthusiasts such as myself. I let the hobby dwindle back in 1979 and have always been interested in aviation, so I have just bought myself an airband radio being a Tecsun 66o which I find great.
I now have to get my aircraft recognition up to scratch as "in the day" they were tridents, 737's vc10's caravells etc. I'm sure you know what I mean.
I've already had a very helpful comment regarding a question I had and I hope that in the future I may also be able to contribute.

KInd regards
Phil
Hi Phil, thanks for your e-mail, I've sent you a reply message, just click on the message link on the left hand menu bar to read it,
enjoy the forum

andy
Andygolfer (or at least I was once), now just plane crazy

please support our photo competitions by entering and/or voting!
Proud winner of 2019 Air-Britain photo competition!

co-owner of UK Light Aviation Enthusiasts google group https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/uklae
and Stansted Aviation Enthusiasts google group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/stnae

my photos on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125470545@N07/

RobC

Post by RobC » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:25 pm

Hello, my name is Rob. I live close to the old RAF Upper Heyford air base. I have been an avid aircraft enthusiast since the late 1960's. Had period of hibernation from our hobby from 1988 until 2011 but have back on track so to speak.
Best regards to all for a good New Year. Rob C.

Mike

Post by Mike » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:00 pm

Welcome aboard Rob, I have many happy memories of Upper Heyford and all of those lovely F-111s.

Have a great new year when it comes along. :) :thumb:

Keith C

Post by Keith C » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:19 pm

Hello Everyone
My name is Keith, had a life long interest in aviation, learnt to fly when aeroplanes had four wings. Now rely on mates to take me around the various museums etc. Thanks for having me on board.

andygolfer
Administrator, POTM, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Post by andygolfer » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:44 pm

welcome to the forum Keith, hope you enjoy it

andy
Andygolfer (or at least I was once), now just plane crazy

please support our photo competitions by entering and/or voting!
Proud winner of 2019 Air-Britain photo competition!

co-owner of UK Light Aviation Enthusiasts google group https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/uklae
and Stansted Aviation Enthusiasts google group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/stnae

my photos on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125470545@N07/

Mr.H

Post by Mr.H » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:29 pm

Hello from the Fylde Coast in Lancashire.
Been away from the hobby for much to long and have decided it was time to boot up my old Yupiteru VT-125 build a new dipole aerial and get back into the swing of things.
Things certainly have changed and now I can get live updates on my phone showing the location of aircraft rather than just relying on audio alone. All I need to do now is get the frequencies updated which may involve getting a newer scanner.
Looking forward to reading the posts on this forum.

Polehill

Post by Polehill » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:30 pm

Welcome aboard MrH, happy listening and spotting.

Mike

carlosspandango33

Post by carlosspandango33 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:11 am

Hi there from South Cumbria I'm interested in airliners and airports and I like to visit Manchester Airport in the summer months for my plane spotting hobby

Polehill

Post by Polehill » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:30 am

Welcome aboard, there are quite a few of us from the Northwest. Enjoy the hobby and we may bump into each other at MAN.

Mike

Return to “The Newbie Forum.”