Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Heathrow slide scans from 1972 & 1973

Only nostalgic and wrecks & relics photography in here please, nostalgic posts should be over 5 years old.
andygolfer
Administrator, POTM, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Heathrow slide scans from 1972 & 1973

Post by andygolfer » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:14 pm

Following on from my slide scans from Gatwick in the early ‘70s here are a few Heathrow ones from ’72 & ’73. Once again apologies for the quality , they haven’t aged very well ( a bit like me!) I’ve fiddled around with them to try to improve them but some are almost beyond salvage (others were totally).

I’ve tried to be slightly methodical but starting at terminal one and moving clockwise as far as possible but some of the backgrounds I just don’t recognize at all now so any corrections or additional comments will all help to illustrate the changes over the years , here goes and apologies if any of my info re the backgrounds IS wrong……….

Terminal 1 in 1972 this used to be the first view of any aircraft as you entered the Queen’s Building terrace, lots of BEA Tridents (mk 1,2 & 3) the first one looks like ‘RPI which I think crashed at Staines there’s also a South African 747 in the background, at one time they used Terminal 1 as well. on the opposite side of the pier it looks like some vanguard tails and a BAC111 (they didnt wear full BEA livery for a while as they were usedon internal German routes or something like that , there was an odd reason, anyway

Swinging round a bit and an Olympic 707 with the then new large BEA hangar which was built initially for the Tristars (is that now owned by Virgin?) and to their right the old BEA hangars which were demolished several years ago now, in the ‘70s there would usually be a Trident or three parked outside and some times a Vanguard (I think all the Viscounts had gone by then)

The most easterly of the terminal two piers taken from the viewing area which was built larger than the adjoining walkways to enhance viewing opportunities (note the PAYG telescope) with a café and indoor sitting area if the weather was poor, they even used to have commentaries saying what would be the next aircraft to land around ’70 & 72 – how friendly they were towards spotters then. The old BEA hangars are also visible in the background. There’s a couple of 737-200s (Lufthansa & Air Algerie) which were the only 737 version around then , and still quite new plus a pair of DC.9s (Austrian & Swissair) –no strectched versions in those days and there’s an IL.18 on the far side of the pier, not sure who’s it is but it might be Yugoslavian – any advice welcome. Last but not least , does anybody own up to being the two spotters in the photo – are they members on here?

Another view from the same area slightly more southern aspect, the south side was so open in those days. There’s a TAP 727 and Air Inter Caravelle in the shot, Caravelles lasted a few more years after this was taken

Same day, same time-ish, panning round a bit, The TAP 727 is still there and a Swissair DC.8 (corrected - Cv.990 Coronado) has joined it and a THY 707 is taxiing past while the obligatory Trident takes off on 10 right (note 10 in those days)

Looking south from the same viewing area (that was the prime spotting location) a Finnair Caravelle with a Tu 134 (looks like OK Jet, Czechoslovakian) and a Pan Am 727 passing by, they used to run feeder flights from Europe to Heathrow. In the distance is a hangar that was used by Pan Am for a while and the Hunting business Jet hangar, with a couple of biz jets outside, that is a bit east of where terminal 4 now stands, looking on google earth I think that hangar might still be there but now outside the airport perimiter

Same angle and a JAL 747 in ‘73. they had recently started operating them instead of DC8s, In the background the hangars previously referred to are visible – cr*p quality but shows the hangars a bit better

Another 747 operator in ’73 was National Airlines who did a daily flight to florida – only had 2 747 s from memory so soon saw their fleet, they were taken over by Pan Am a few years later

Delta operated 747s into LHR in ’73, previously they used DC.8s. The background looks quite rural, it’s far from that now as Terminal 4 now occupies that area!

THY were just starting DC.10 operations and the following year they lost a DC.10 (TC-JAV) at Paris, zooming in this looks like JAU but it isn’t clear. I’m not sure what is in the background but I think it’s the area between T4 and the VIP terminal, in fact that may be the VIP terminal to the right

Panning a bit further west and an Alitalia DC.8, Dc.8s were quite popular on inter-european routes in those days this must have been a similar area to the previous photo but cant work it out exactly, looks like a couple of fuel tanks and those may be some of the old cargo sheds on the right where the newer larger cargo area now stands. Also it looks as though it might be the old runway intersection because at that time Heathrow had a single cross runway for times of high cross winds (can’t remember the heading but would have been approx 04/22) . Ther's also the top of a Malev (recently demised) Il.18, the soviet block airlines were still using these as well as Tu 134s in those days - what nostalgia!

Hope you like them and the reminiscing of Heathrow as it was 40 years ago
Andygolfer (or at least I was once), now just plane crazy

please support our photo competitions by entering and/or voting!
Proud winner of 2019 Air-Britain photo competition!

co-owner of UK Light Aviation Enthusiasts google group https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/uklae
and Stansted Aviation Enthusiasts google group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/stnae

my photos on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125470545@N07/

uppergreen1

Re: Heathrow slide scans from 1972 & 1973

Post by uppergreen1 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:25 pm

speachless,like traveling through time,that first pic took me straight back to 197............quite a long time ago,fantastic thanks........ .

2e1var

Post by 2e1var » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:04 pm

Best post ever, thank you.
UBC-15X, 800XLT, 3500XLT, VT-225, Pro-2006, Pro-2042, IC-7300, IC-7100, Airspy R2
Sony a58, Sony 70-300G

Mike
Administrator, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Post by Mike » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:53 pm

2e1var wrote:Best post ever, thank you.
I'd agree with that - absolutely brilliant. :) :thumb:

Please support our monthly photo competitions by entering and/or by voting !

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:15 pm

many thanks- dont think my pics were the best ever but i hope the accompanying text made it interesting especially for those not old enough to remember it.

i had a look at Paul's post http://www.civilianaviation.co.uk/forum ... 13&t=10443" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (very nice Paul btw) and that looked at alongside my pics and commentary as well helps to show where things are now. I noticed I called the Felds hangar Huntings - it may have been at one time otherwise my mind is slipping.

would be really nice if one could overlay a then and now map!

co-owner of UK Light Aviation Enthusiasts google group https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/uklae
and Stansted Aviation Enthusiasts google group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/stnae

Twinpin

Post by Twinpin » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:10 am

Hi andygolfer

I love this post, I started spotting in the 70's so it brings back some fond memories. I think the IL18 in pic 3 is Malev and the Swissair in pic 5 is not a DC8 but a Coronado - much more interesting!

Keep em coming.

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:03 am

Twinpin wrote:Hi andygolfer

I love this post, I started spotting in the 70's so it brings back some fond memories. I think the IL18 in pic 3 is Malev and the Swissair in pic 5 is not a DC8 but a Coronado - much more interesting!

Keep em coming.
You're correct it is a Malev one HA-MOH, I blew the original scan up to full size and could read it. I'm pretty sure you are right about the Coronado as well, they were regular about this time as were the DC.8s, The Coronados had fairings behind the engines but couldnt see them in my pic which was why I said DC.8 but on the tail it has the aircraft type in black letters (I looked at other pics on the web) and it's too long to say DC.8 so sure it is a Coronado. I'll have to see what else I've got but need to get my scanner back from a friend or buy a better one before I can post much.

neil t

Post by neil t » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:53 pm

What agreat set of scans from the early 70's. I started spotting in 1970 and my first trip to Heathrow was August 1971. These pics certainly bring back fond memories. Your Trident in Picture 5 was departing runway 10 Right. Have you anymore?
Regards,
Neil :thumbs:

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:44 am

thanks- I've got quite a few more but I have lent my scanner to a friend who is some way away and probably wont see him for a couple of months so will be a while before I can scan them.

It was geat in those days when you could get so close to the aircraft - even moreso at Gatwick, no chance now I suppose mainly due to terrorism. As soon as there was a terrorism hijack the queens building would be closed for a while, likewise the Gatwick piers I suppose somebody could have thrown a grenade from the Gatwick piers but you would have been in contention for an olympic medal to have reached an aircraft at Heathrow with any thrown object. Still , better safe than sorry. We soon found other spots to watch from and although it wasnt intentional, the dispersal of spotters all over the place rather than all on the QB probably made for more headaches for the police. The car park roofs became one of the favoured spots after that if i remember correctly.

Radleigh
POTM winner

Post by Radleigh » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:06 am

I used to love going up the QB, sadly not during this time as I'm to young! thanks for posting, Would of loved to have seen some of that back then..
Canon 1D Mk2 | Canon 60D
Sigma 50-500 f/4-5.6 non-OS | 11-16 f/2.8 | 18-55 | 28-80 | 100 f/2.8 | Kenko x1.4 + x2 TC's
My Website

garryrussell

Post by garryrussell » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:28 pm

Nice seeing the Delta Boeing 747 :thumb: ...Did delta operate very often to the UK then?

The 747 didn't last long in the fleet although -400 joined fairly recently with the Northwest takeover.

You mention the Viscounts may have gone by then but there was still a large BEA fleet plus the Northeast and Cambrian so I'm surprised none get caught up in the pics :o

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:23 pm

from memory (so can't be certain - age thing) they used to do a flight or 2 per day in early 70's first using DC.8s and then changing to 747s around 72/73 Pan Am & TWA were main operators into LHR at that time. Delta also did flights to LGW but not sure when they started - think it was later, they may have moved to LGW and expanded their operation - not sure.

Re the Viscounts - didnt realise how long they kept going looks like BA rretired them around 1982 - I now remeber that some went to BAF at southend on retirment and one stood there for years on BA colours before being chopped. - sorry for my duff comment previously

EI-ASI

Post by EI-ASI » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:20 pm

Great shots!! They bring back happy memories of spotting from the Queen's Building back in 1973 and 1974! As far as I remember the Delta 747's appeared in Heathrow operating for Pan Am. I saw N9900 at LHR on 22 Aug 1973 and N9898 the following day and later noted it over Dublin operating PA 107 on 22 June 1974 so they were around for a while. N9898 was later operated by Pan Am as N725PA.

More scans from this era please!!
Andy
F4VWD
Joussé, France

EI-ASI

Post by EI-ASI » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:26 pm

And one other thing, the Lufthansa 737 in the third pic is actually a series 130. Relatively speaking very few were built, the majority of them going to Lufthansa but they did see service with Peoples Express and later again with Continental after they bought out PEX. I'm pretty sure I shot some in the mid 90's at Newark but never shot any of them in LH service! Not sure if any of those series 100's are still flying...??

Cheers
Andy
F4VWD
Joussé, France

Mike
Administrator, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Post by Mike » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:49 pm

EI-ASI wrote:And one other thing, the Lufthansa 737 in the third pic is actually a series 130. Relatively speaking very few were built, the majority of them going to Lufthansa but they did see service with Peoples Express and later again with Continental after they bought out PEX. I'm pretty sure I shot some in the mid 90's at Newark but never shot any of them in LH service! Not sure if any of those series 100's are still flying...??

Cheers
Lufty were the very first airline to order the 737, the one in the third pic looks like 737-130 D-ABEA to me :unsure:

If so, here's it's history :- http://www.planespotters.net/Production ... ealand.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Great thread. :) :thumb:

Please support our monthly photo competitions by entering and/or by voting !

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:09 am

yes, me not checking what i'm writing, a series -100, too keen to get the topic written and posted

Chris IL-76

Post by Chris IL-76 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:01 pm

Great memories there!! I loved going up on the Queens Building, there used to be an indoor Restaurant as far as I can remember and the commentary man in a small hut with a list of what was due in for the day.

Before security went mad!! Thanks for showing, wonderful!

peewit

Post by peewit » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:50 pm

Hi Andy

Your photos remind me of the good old days where you could go up onto the roof of the Queen's Building on a Friday evening and watch the aircraft take off and land. The lucky ones had an airband receiver to listen in to the control tower.

In those days, I also had a few flights on the flying brick (the Trident).

Many thanks for aiding my memory.

Phil
Phil Whitten

garryrussell

Post by garryrussell » Wed May 02, 2012 1:31 pm

Thanks andygolfer for the Delta info

EI-ASI

No Boeing 737-100's flying now

The last was operated by NASA and was the prototype 737, now preserved.

Although the 100 served a few carriers later only three airlines ordered it

22 Lufthansa 737-130

5 malaysia-Singapore 737-112

2 Avianca 737-159

In addition the prototype was not for Lufthansa but was built as a 737-130

Dockwell

Post by Dockwell » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:58 pm

Re the second pic, the gid BEA hangar (known as the Cathederal) is still in use today by BA, Virgin built a new hagar slighty behind this one.......Viscounts lasted at LHR until the early 80's, although only in BM guise.......the Fields hangar Im pretty sure had hunting written on the the back of it till the day it was Demolished, it had Fields on the front though!...was Hunting a reference to "Hunting Clan" ?? did they own it before fields took over??? the Pan Am hangar was demolished when T4 was built but the area was used to build a new United office block, T4 was however built onto of not only the Fields Hangar but also an Air India one !! Interestingly The Pan Am hangar appeared in an episode of the Sweeney, also appearing in the episode was the Pan Am Cargo Shed which looks exactly the same then as it does now from the outside !! (pics of now and then can be found on the Sweeney Forum) not sure if Squeezes "cool for cats" was inspired by this episode !! :D

So as not to hijack this thread Ive posted some pics of my early spotting days in a new post, this has pics of the hunting hangar in

Return to “Nostalgia and Wrecks & Relics”