Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Island of Symi

Please use this area for non-aviation related chat.
Fullenglish

Island of Symi

Post by Fullenglish » Sat May 28, 2016 1:31 pm

Has anyone been the Island of Symi near Rhodes? I am going there on the 8th June for a short break and staying at the Pedi Hotel.
I'm especially interested in the beaches and tavernas in the region.

Phil
Ah. I'd like to have an argument, please. ... Receptionist: Well, It's one pound for a five minute argument, but only eight pounds for a course of ten.

Mike
Administrator, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Re: Island of Symi

Post by Mike » Sun May 29, 2016 3:03 pm

I've never heard of it, Phil - I've been to Zante though, if that's any help. :unsure:

Please support our monthly photo competitions by entering and/or by voting !

Fullenglish

Post by Fullenglish » Sun May 29, 2016 6:25 pm

Mike,
It's about 40 minutes on the ferry from Rhodes. Just off the Turkish coast, but it is Greek. Iv'e heard some really nice things about the place.
Phil
Ah. I'd like to have an argument, please. ... Receptionist: Well, It's one pound for a five minute argument, but only eight pounds for a course of ten.

Wiltshire_Victor

Post by Wiltshire_Victor » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:06 pm

Hi Phil

The missus and I have stayed on Symi a few times and been there on day trips from Rhodes via the ferry a few times too. Last time was in 2013. It's a small island with lots of walking paths to various remote corners where you'll find old monasteries, churches and the like. The main town and only real centre of population is Gialos, also called Symi Town which is still very small, and has a lovely harbour and the old town "horio" up on the hillside which was blown up by the retreating Germans towards the end of WW2, which can be accessed via a load of steep steps. It's very sleepy as you might expect, although it does receive several tour boats a day from Rhodes as well as scheduled ferry services but these tend to be between 11am and late afternoon, after which it all goes back to sleep again.

In the next bay to the east is the village of Pedi, a pleasant 2km walk from Gialos. The island is very scenic and in most cases, the mountains drop straight into the sea, so beaches are few and far between, and what beaches there are, tend to be pebbly. There are a couple of sandy beaches, the best of which is at Agios Nikolaos, a 5kms walk from Gialos. There's a pathway but as far as I know, no road. As in everywhere in Greece, tavernas last a couple of years in many cases, then close, or are taken over by new owners, so as I am three years out of date, I can't recommend any, although I would say that as a general rule of thumb avoid those clustered around the harbour and seek out those in the back streets that the locals use, where the food will be more authentic, larger portions, cheaper and much better quality ( and you won't end up paying for the view). If you want laid back, then Symi will suit you, just remember that it's generally attributed to be the hottest part of Greece, as it's well sheltered by the Turkish coastline, you can expect temps in July and August to regularly top 40c

Here are some photos I took several years ago.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/browniebo ... 845675883/
Find me and 360 other enthusiasts at http://aviationforall.proboards.com

Find our Aircraft Con Trail page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/1552422878165906/

Fullenglish

Post by Fullenglish » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:24 pm

Thanks a lot for the info and nice pics.

Return to “General Chat Area”