Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Driving in France

Please use this area for non-aviation related chat.
Fullenglish

Driving in France

Post by Fullenglish » Thu May 19, 2016 6:33 am

Iv'e just found out that if you are caught speeding in France then as from 2017 you will definately be prosecuted where as if you are flashed at present you will not be prosecuted. It's too much hassle. I have that on personal experience. Ooops Bonjour monsieur Policier :oops:

Another good reason for getting out of Europe.
Ah. I'd like to have an argument, please. ... Receptionist: Well, It's one pound for a five minute argument, but only eight pounds for a course of ten.

Nighthawke

Re: Driving in France

Post by Nighthawke » Thu May 19, 2016 11:40 am

So if they introduced the same in the UK would you emigrate? There is a simple answer to not being caught and prosecuted - don't speed!

If you are desperate to find ridiculous reasons for leaving the EU there are plenty of other French laws that you won't like when abroad - as plenty of other EU member states probably have too.

If your posting implies that you drive fast when in France then I for one will be glad of one less risk when I'm driving there.

C'est la vie - bon journee.

Fullenglish

Post by Fullenglish » Thu May 19, 2016 1:09 pm

Oooh. Someone's got all emotional.

Strange how most people don't even keep the speed limit even in this country.
Ah. I'd like to have an argument, please. ... Receptionist: Well, It's one pound for a five minute argument, but only eight pounds for a course of ten.

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Fri May 20, 2016 11:59 am

Not getting emotional and if y wording conveyed that to you then it was not intended. My point was merely applying some logic to my interpretation of your post.

The speeding "choice" is not just risking getting caught - it is the potential harm to others if and when it goes wrong.

andygolfer
Administrator, POTM, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Post by andygolfer » Fri May 20, 2016 4:31 pm

I haven't driven in France for about 15 years now but when I did I found I was concentrating so much on the roads, signs and keeping on the right that it was far easier to drift over the speed limit unintentionally than here in the UK where I still do it occasionally usually by only a few mph but enough to get 'done'.

It was just that there was so much to watch out for that speed became a secondary concern as opposed to hitting or getting hit by a french drive and I wasn't watching it much at all. I bet lots of British drivers do the same and the unlucky ones do it at the wrong moment and get caught.

I don't see that as a reason for leaving the EU though (there are far more logical reasons than that!).

Andy
Andygolfer (or at least I was once), now just plane crazy

please support our photo competitions by entering and/or voting!
Proud winner of 2019 Air-Britain photo competition!

co-owner of UK Light Aviation Enthusiasts google group https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/uklae
and Stansted Aviation Enthusiasts google group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/stnae

my photos on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125470545@N07/

Fullenglish

Post by Fullenglish » Sun May 22, 2016 9:16 am

I agree with you Andy absolutely. It's just that there is so much scaremoungering about what might happen. Nothing of what has been said is proven regarding the EU. It's just that we hear so much rubbish from politicians. As for the French and the Germans they want to dominate us one way or another and we are not liked in Europe. The Eurovision contest shows that.

Although I have to say a lot of industry will be hurt as they supply to the French and especially the Germans and they do have a case to stay IN.

The point is that the British are not like the Europeans and we never will be. History has proved that.

Regarding driving, the standard of driving in this country is definately deteriorating quite alarmingly and the motorway is a very dangerous place if not handled properly I go to France regularly and the French are much quicker drivers than us. It is very easy to be caught out when preparing to overtake a vehicle. The French start to overtake much earlier than us, and if one is not careful enough, can be made to break and get stuck there until it is safe to manouvre.

Also I have noticed that if one keeps to the speed limit on a motoway in France. What's that...? 130 km I believe in dry weather, you will find that most French drivers and British will overtake you. The same is to be said in this country. You drive at 70 mph. You will find you are usually the slowest car on the road.

The law in this country that is tolerable to the police is for example a speed limit of 70 mph means that you will not be prosecuted if you drive at 79 mph (that's 70 mph + 10% = 77 mph + 2 mph = Total 79 mph). The same rule applies to National roads. Howevwer, what is unfair is that if you try that against a speed camera. You will get flashed. Where's the logic to that?

Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now.
Phil

beefsteak

Post by beefsteak » Sun May 22, 2016 10:07 am

Not condoning speeding in any way, as I know for a fact I was as guilty as anybody of it!

My tale of French driving was returning with the family after having taken them to Euro Disney, we left in plenty of time to get to Calais for the ferry, just as we were getting onto the routier system my little lad started being sick, I pulled over as quick as I could in error I had inadvertently pulled onto the A4 towards Reims rather than the direct route north via the A1
Unperturbed I settled for this pleasant 'petite' detour and pulled into Reims for lunch, I then set about the arduous task of finding a petrol station open on a Sunday, took bloody ages but we finally got back onto the A26 and headed north. To my horror I realised we only had something like 2 1/2 hours to make the 150 mile trip or else we'd miss our ferry !
So I booted it !
Fortunately, as anybody who has driven in France before, particularly on a Sunday in February, will testify to, the motorways (With them being toll roads) are very quiet, after covering about a hundred miles in as many minutes (Honest!!) it dawned on us that we hadn't set the clock in the car to 'continental' time, and as such we had an extra hour to get there.
(We got there in plenty of time to be told by the bloke on 'check in' that it didn't really matter what time you got there at that time of year as there was always plenty of space, he then told me to drive straight on to one that was leaving in 10 minutes!)

:P

Fullenglish

Post by Fullenglish » Sun May 22, 2016 2:08 pm

I presume you didn't have your satnav at the time you had this arduous journey through France. As they will give you info on where the nearest petrol stations are. Sorry unless you meant that they were all closed being a Sunday.

beefsteak

Post by beefsteak » Sun May 22, 2016 3:41 pm

I actually did have my sat nav,( saved me getting severely lost on the turn off near PCdG !)
We just couldn't find a ruddy petrol station open on a Sunday!

:grr:

beefsteak

Post by beefsteak » Mon May 23, 2016 3:09 pm

You'll be struggling to do any speeding in France at the moment!!

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/drivers-stran ... 31794.html

:grr: Frogs on strike again

Fullenglish

Post by Fullenglish » Mon May 23, 2016 3:50 pm

Ruddy French! They love a good strike.

Mike
Administrator, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Post by Mike » Mon May 23, 2016 4:09 pm

Fullenglish wrote:Ruddy French! They love a good strike.
So did so many workers in this country until not so long ago. :whistle:

Please support our monthly photo competitions by entering and/or by voting !

andygolfer
Administrator, POTM, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Post by andygolfer » Mon May 23, 2016 4:16 pm

Mike wrote:
Fullenglish wrote:Ruddy French! They love a good strike.
So did so many workers in this country until not so long ago. :whistle:
shows how many years in advance we are compared to the French!
Andygolfer (or at least I was once), now just plane crazy

please support our photo competitions by entering and/or voting!
Proud winner of 2019 Air-Britain photo competition!

co-owner of UK Light Aviation Enthusiasts google group https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/uklae
and Stansted Aviation Enthusiasts google group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/stnae

my photos on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125470545@N07/

Mike
Administrator, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Post by Mike » Mon May 23, 2016 4:19 pm

That's so true ! :lol:

Please support our monthly photo competitions by entering and/or by voting !

Return to “General Chat Area”