Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Sibson, Peterborough - airfield information & guide

Post your logs, movements and information for airports in central England - the Midlands and East Anglia.
andygolfer
Administrator, POTM, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Sibson, Peterborough - airfield information & guide

Post by andygolfer » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:18 pm

Address: Sibson Aerodrome, Wansford, Peterborough PE8 6NE

Imagesibson OS map by Andrew Goldsmith, on Flickr

The airfield is located to the east of the B671 midway between Elton and Wansford. It is easily accessible from the A1 at Stibbington from where it is signposted. Coming from the west on the A605 it is signposted at the Elton turning (B671). There is a large sign at the entrance plus you can see runway 06 the end of which is next to the road. Once on the airfield road to the car park keep a good look out for aircraft taxiing to the 06 threshold or landing on 06 if that is the runway in use as they taxi close to the road. The car park is on the right at the end just before you reach the clubhouse/control tower and apron.

Imagesibson airfield GE plan by Andrew Goldsmith, on Flickr

runways
06/24 - 935 × 30m Grass
15/33 - 551 × 18m Grass

Radio A/G 120.325 Peterborough Sibson

Imagesibson hangar plan by Andrew Goldsmith, on Flickr

To ask for access go upstairs in the reception/control tower, they are very friendly and will tell you the do’s and don’ts , the main instructions are to keep off the grass and don’t touch anything. Access to the main hangar is normally granted and the interior of the J&J maintenance hangar to the rear of the control tower building is visible from the inside of the control tower if the doors are not open. I was allowed in on my visit but I’m told this is not always the case depending what they are doing so don’t take that for granted.

G-BMIG on the fuel ramp:
Image2000 G-BMIG Ce.172 Sibson 12-11-2015 by Andrew Goldsmith, on Flickr

G-BAEP inside the J&J Engineering hangar
Image2040 G-BAEP Ce.150 Sibson 12-11-2015 by Andrew Goldsmith, on Flickr

The main hangar is just across from the control tower/ J&J hangar building and houses about 10 aircraft.
3 of the main hangar's incumbents:
Image2011 G-BLAF Stolp SA-900 Sibson 12-11-2015 by Andrew Goldsmith, on Flickr

Image2025 G-BASP Beagle Pup Sibson 12-11-2015 by Andrew Goldsmith, on Flickr

Image2027 G-BTFJ Pa.15 Sibson 12-11-2015 by Andrew Goldsmith, on Flickr
There is a separate maintenance hangar which is the rear part of the main hangar, they were not so accommodating to me on my visit. They did not want me looking in the hangar and asked me not to photograph the derelict or poor condition aircraft to the rear as photos of them had previously been posted on the internet which displeased the owners to see their aircraft shown in such a state. I had already got pics of most of them before getting close to the hangar but they will stay stored on my PC and not on the internet.

G-BUEF landed and parked near the rear hangar while I was there
Image2032 G-BUEF Ce.150 Sibson 12-11-2015 by Andrew Goldsmith, on Flickr

The airfield is intensively used for parachuting when the weather is kind as well as for other light aircraft.

Ce.208 N208AX usually takes off full and lands almost empty!, this is used by the parachutists
Image2005 N208AX Ce.2-8 Sibson 12-11-2015 by Andrew Goldsmith, on Flickr

In all I logged 20 aircraft on the ground, including 4 which didn’t appear to be in flying condition as per my previous comment.

the list:
G-BIMG Ce.172 outside
N208AX Ce.208 outside
G-BGMJ Gardan GY201 Minicab big hangar
G-BNNT Pa.28 big hangar
G-BLAF Stolp SA-900 big hangar
G-MUTZ Jabiru J430 big hangar
G-BUEF Ce.150 outside
G-PCCM Alpi Aviation Pioneer big hangar
G-BIIK Socata Rallye big hangar
G-BASP Beagle Pup big hangar
G-BTFJ Pa.15 big hangar
G-RVUK Vans RV-7 big hangar
G-BICY Pa.23 behind back hangar -derelict
G-BOVT Ce.150 behind back hangar -engineless
G-AVIA Ce.150 behind back hangar -derelict
G-FAYE Ce.150 behind back hangar - poor condition
G-ARBN Pa.23 behind back hangar
G-BEKN Ce.150 J&J engineering hangar
G-BAEP Ce.150 J&J engineering hangar
G-LIZI Pa.28 J&J engineering hangar

A quick return visit to the tower to say thank you and I set off to Peterborough’s other airfield - Conington on the last leg of my trip before heading for home.

any further information would be most welcome, hope this is useful

more of my photos from my visit can be seen here:http://www.civilianaviation.co.uk/forum ... 675#p75675

Andy
Andygolfer (or at least I was once), now just plane crazy

please support our photo competitions by entering and/or voting!
Proud winner of 2019 Air-Britain photo competition!

co-owner of UK Light Aviation Enthusiasts google group https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/uklae
and Stansted Aviation Enthusiasts google group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/stnae

my photos on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125470545@N07/

Return to “Midlands and East Anglia”