Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Popham Road Trip- 01-02/05/2015

Post your logs, movements and information for airports located in the South and South West of England.
Bobbybefc

Popham Road Trip- 01-02/05/2015

Post by Bobbybefc » Tue May 12, 2015 2:34 pm

:D

Well Friday 1st May dawned and our annual trip to see our friend’s in Southampton and the subsequent visit to Popham on the Saturday. The weather forecast had not looked good, so a Plan B was put in place, in the event of a bad turn up of aircraft at the latter.

Left our home in Runcorn at 10:30am and after getting our Subway sandwich for our mid-trip break headed down the M56/M6 & Toll/M42/M40 and A34 towards Southampton- as we passed Abingdon Merlin ZJ120 was seen flying around.
Having decided to break the back of the journey we stopped at Chievley services at the junction of M4/A34- then after the food/toilet stop headed down to Southampton via the A34/M3/M27/M271 for our two night stay at the Premier Inn at West Quay.

After parking the car- Tri-Islander G-BDTO was seen on the climb out of Southampton.
Saturday arrived and after an excellent buffet breakfast got in the car and headed to my first stop of the day:-

Old Sarum

The main reason was to visit the museum- which after parting company with £7, I had a good look around. Excellent museum and where 22 went into the book. Did not stay as long as I wanted but Bobby has covered the occupants in his report. Managed to get around the bottom hangar- where one went into the book G-BUXX, and the only other to hit the books was C208 N208AY.

Next stop was:-

Thruxton

First visit for a number of years- managed to log 17 but some of the aircraft in the lean too hangars on the right remain unidentified as well as some in the middle of the field. Anyway three hit the books here:-
G-BYDY, G-CGID and G-DDGJ

Next:-

Popham

This has been well covered but despite a poor turn out of aircraft 20 went into the book. Stayed for an hour before heading off to my next stop at:-

Farnborough

Where 15 Biz and Kingair N279BC went into the book.

Blackbushe

Short journey from FAB which was made longer by the roadworks on the M3 junction. In any case an almost full log was obtained- and 7 cops were made out of 48 logged:-
G-CICG, LHXL, CHPG, BZEB, MULT, SRZZ, N9432B C175

Odiham

Only Gate Guardian 03-08003 went in the book here.
Last stop of the day:-

Lasham

This visit boosted the numbers where after speaking to three spotters from London, managed to get around the excellent Glider Heritage Museum- this has been mentioned in previous reports so I will go no further- however a clockwise trip around the airfield to the Museum ended up with everything being seen from a number of gliders on both sides the Museum and also the stored aircraft. In any event 51 hit the books.
Then it was back to our friends home for a chippy tea and a few beers:- happy with the 124 cops for the day.

Happy Days

Bob :cool:
Bobby B EFC :cool:

Mike
Administrator, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Re: Popham Road Trip- 01-02/05/2015

Post by Mike » Tue May 12, 2015 3:39 pm

Sounds like you had a good day, Bob. :)

Please support our monthly photo competitions by entering and/or by voting !

Return to “Southern England and the Channel Isles”