Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Hampshire/Dorset Road Trip Memories 2012

Post your logs, movements and information for airports located in the South and South West of England.
Bobbybefc

Hampshire/Dorset Road Trip Memories 2012

Post by Bobbybefc » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:27 am

:D

Friday-Saturday 4th/5th May 2012

Went on the below trip in 2012 has a bit of info re some fields which maybe of some use to some of our readers.

Well fourth road trip of the year commenced at 10am Friday, when car loaded, myself and the wife headed down the M6-M42-M40-A34 to Southampton to spend the weekend with some friends of ours.

En-Route had our lunch on top of the carpark at:-

BIRMINGHAM

logged:- (No Types)

EI-ESM

EI-SLN

G-IPAX

G-FCSL

EC-LCX

EI-EPG

PH-EZE

F-GUGI

G-POLA

A6-EBH

EI-REP

Stayed for an hour then it was back on the road to Southampton- as we were driving down the A34 past ABINGDON saw Thames Valley Air Support EC135 G-TVHB

Then it was into Southampton for our two night accomodation at the Premier Inn at West Quay. Where we went to Winchester for our friends to an American Diner- then back for a few cold ones. Then to bed- (Not with the friends)

Well it was up early Saturday morning- and had a leisurely breakfast. Then it was on the road for 9am for the main reason for the trip- my regular visit to the Micro-light trade fair at Popham. Whilst I went spotting Jan went shopping with our friends.

I was not expecting a lot this year especially with the bad weather they had -had earlier in the week- but you are always guranteed to get a few new ones in the book.

Anyway prior to POPHAM- I had made a pre-arranged visit to Ron Souch's lovely airfield and workshops at:-

HILL FARM (DURLEY)

My first visit here for a number of years- last time being when the Wicko was here.

Logged the following gem's:-

G-ACET- DH84 Dragon

G-AATC- DH80 Puss Moth

G-ARTH- PA12

G-CGUO- DH83 Fox Moth

G-ACNS- DH60

G-ABDX- DH60

G-AANV- DH60

G-ABDA- DH60

G-ABWD-DH83

G-ABNX- Robinson Redwing

G-TATR- Travelair

G-EUJG- Avro Avian

G-ECDX- DH71

G-EUKS- Wigeon

G-ALJL- DH 82

Well after that lot I could have gone home a happy man- sheer quality. What a lovely fella Ron was and his colleague who showed me around. Complete clear out of the work shops.

Request from Ron- if you intend to visit the airfield at any time- PLEASE ring for permission- again I got the impression that he would entertain a small group - but was happier with single visitors- ALSO "Please don't turn up and knock on his door on a Sunday morning- like someone has done in the past- You will be shown back to the airfield entrance if you do.

Anyway enough ranting- it was off to my next pre-arranged visit- having e-mailed my contact on Friday and that was to a new one for me:-

LOWER UPHAM (Phoenix Farm)

Met my contact who owns quite a few of the aircraft here, and who gave me a tour of the hangar where I logged the following:-

G-SFLA

G-SFLB

G-CGTA

G-CGTB

G-MWPS

G-GRWW

G-FLYC

G-TCEE

N201W- Bell 47

My contact had recently aquired an Evan VP2 which he had hangared at ROUGHAY FARM which was just up the road and which I needed. This airfield is an absolute NO NO to visit. However, after about a 10 minute chat, he picked his phone up and made contact with the airfield owner and arranged for me to visit. My contact got me to follow him up to(And a newy for me)- glad of the directions as it is a hard airfield to find:

LOWER UPHAM (Roughay Farm)

Where I logged the following:-

G-AVEM

G-BUGI- VP2

G-HJSS

G-RAZZ

G-AKUJ

G-BKFA

G-AYDY

G-AICX

G-BIVB

G-ASJZ

G-BVMD

G-BEDJ

G-PFAR

G-OODE

Met the airfield owner- again a lovely fella- who gave me tour of his workshop and told me the reason- for making this airfield a no go for spotters- basically causing damage- thats it- not saying thankyou when visiting.

I thanked my contact and then headed off to:-

POPHAM

I won't list what I saw here just to say I logged about 200 aircraft which was good for the very cold conditions- stayed for about two hours leaving at about 13:30.

After POPHAM- decided to visit a few more airfields in Hampshire and Dorset before heading back to Southampton.

CHILBOLTON

After visiting last year and Bobbystreet telling me where Cliff Lovells Moth was hiding- paid a further visit- and actually met Cliff whilst he was working on his Vagabond G-AWKD- said he had got rid of his Luscombe which he regretted.

In any case got his Moth G-AAZG ;D

Most the based aircraft were either out at Popham or in spotter proof containers but also logged was G-ZHKF

Had a brief chat with Cliff regarding when he had his workshop at Coombe Bissett a number of years ago, also he told me a mate of his had borrowed his Moth and had damaged it, before leaving for my next stop:-

THRUXTON

Logged in and around the field were:-

G-CECX

N666GA- AA5

G-BUXS

G-CEJD

G-HPWA

G-BBCN

G-MELT

G-BTFT

D-EWAT RC112

G-MSFT

N734F- BJR

G-BXTT

G-CGVC

G-ASFL

G-ELUE

G-ATEF

G-BAAI

G-JAJB

G-BKIS

G-MILN

Next:-

BOSCOMBE DOWN

Quick look- nothing flying not even the Grobs so it was off to:-

OLD SARUM

Met up with a couple of spotters from Newcastle who pointed me in the direction of the tower for permission to look around- (Hi-Viz required chaps)

Then it was on my own around the big hangar- entry to the Micro hangar was not allowed although I managed to make all but one in there fron the hangar entrance. Logged the following:-

G-EDGI, SCOL, OLSF,BZBS, NGLS, CCVI, CPXC, N656JM-C172, BUJE, LORN, EECC, MYLV, CCZL, MYUS, BSRX, EMLY, MWYU, CDSA, SUKY, MWVG, IOIA, MVAC, MTKR, BRZZ, NJ633/KXP, ROME, BDMS, OTD, BCXJ, OBJT, NPPL, BOZZ, WISE, CBVX, OFBU, WSSX, EMSY, CDI, ZODY, DEWE, JRKD, PILL, CLIFF, YRON, CCUH, KENG, CDOK, CFIT, TGUN, IINI, ERFS, BUJE, CCPJ, DCDO, CFXF, CDZZ, FLYB, N151CG Cirrus, SHRK, CGRE, KENM, N35SN-Beech Debonair

First time here for a number of years but quite a few made from that lot.

Next:-

COMPTON ABBAS

First set back of the day really- made request to look around the hangars- kept me hanging on for about 20 minutes before telling me it was a no- no- but never the less I managed to get the majority of stuff there from the viewing area/carpark and a stop in the layby to view inside the two open hangars.

Logged:-

G-KEJY, FMAM, BRUB, D-EAMB- B208, BNKH, DXT, REYL, SVET, OONY, BXTW, XGS, BRBD, BCVG, PVCV, ZERO, BOJW, TIII, SVDG, CBLY, N1731B Stearman, BPCK, GFID, TODG, BNNU, N6830B Maule, DOVE, CBYN, CYRL, HNGE, BUFN

Next and last stop of the day:-

BOURNEMOUTH

Just headed over to where the stored aircraft were and to have a look at signature-as it was getting late- and I had to get back to Southampton- had I not been kept hanging on at the previous airfield I might have managed a little bit longer here.

G-OMRH

N412MW- PC12

G-BYHJ

M-DRIL- PC12

N463AC/ES-ABP

G-PROJ

G-TSLC

P4-CBA- Global Express

OO-CSE- AA5 (Correct ID anyone?)

M-AGIC

CS-DNW

G-CGEI

N55FP -C525

Plus 737's

G-CHAK/LN-BRO, EI-EEW, EI-EOE/LN-BRM, EI-EPL, N647SR/LN-BRR, N516WA/HZ-BBK, N470AC/HZ-CJB, N419CT/UR-VVD, SX-MTG

Plus the ozjet 737 and the old Europeans 737's and the CL44 is still there, plus and unmarked Buccaneer.

Then it was back to Southampton, parked car up and off for a nice meal with our friends and a few beers.

Again I know it's an old report from a trip I went on- but I hope it is of some use to some of our members.

Happy Days

Bob :thumb:
Bobby B EFC :cool:

Mike
Administrator, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Re: Hampshire/Dorset Road Trip Memories 2012

Post by Mike » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:33 am

Great log as always Bob. :thumb:

Please support our monthly photo competitions by entering and/or by voting !

Bobbybefc

Re: Hampshire/Dorset Road Trip Memories 2012

Post by Bobbybefc » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:39 pm

:D

Thanks Mike- old report I know but a little bit of info included for some of the readers.

Happy Days

Bob :cool:
Bobby B EFC :cool:

Return to “Southern England and the Channel Isles”