Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Sandtoft, Lincs - airfield guide

Post your logs, movements and information for airports in central England - the Midlands and East Anglia.
andygolfer
Administrator, POTM, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Sandtoft, Lincs - airfield guide

Post by andygolfer » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:32 am

Address: Sandtoft Airfield, Belton, Doncaster, DN9 1PN,

Location approx. 9 miles east of Scunthorpe and 1 mile south of M180.
From M180 turn off at junction 2 and head south on A161 to Belton. On entering the village turn right into Westgate Road for 1 ½ miles through Westgate and across the river and the airfield will be on your left – turn into the entrance and park in the car park in front of the reception building and Sky View Café.
If using the A18 turn south at Crowle junction onto A161 towards Belton and proceed as above.
If approaching from Gainsborough direction (from south on A161) proceed through Belton village and turn left into Westgate Road and continue to airfield as above.
Imagesandtoft OS plan by Andrew Goldsmith, on Flickr

Airfield Information
•Sandtoft Radio: 130.425
•Runway: 886M x 18M Asphalt
•Elevation: 13ft AMSL

Visited 11-11-2015
I visited on a weekday so there may be more to see and better accessibility at weekends. A very friendly airfield and I asked in the Sky View cafe who I should see to ask permission and i was directed outside where the owner plus a.n.other were working on facilities - the airfield changed hands in April I was told.
I asked to take pick of the 3 aircraft on the apron and permission was granted, I offered to wear high viz and they said it was quiet so not necessary but do so if I wished (so I did so just to demonstrate a willingness to help). I also asked about looking in the hangars and was told only the maintenance hangar was open and I could go in and take pics but there was one person working inside so speak to him first rather than wander straight in - sensible and courteous behavior. Found him and had a bit of a chat about the aircraft and took a few pics.

Imagesandtoft google earth plan by Andrew Goldsmith, on Flickr

maintenance hangar;
Image1603 Sandtoft 11-11-2015 engineering hangar by Andrew Goldsmith, on Flickr

There is another hangar right at the far end of the runway which I was told was locked up so didn't bother to ask if I could go to that end, I assume it houses some of the residents - (confirmation please?). As such I don't know the total number of aircraft based there.

By then it was lunch time so told a.n.other that i had finished and thanked him (owner wasn't there by then) and went into the Sky View cafe to seek some sustenance. They have an excellent menu and very reason\ably priced - an all day breakfast ( irresistible ) and a cup of tea all for £6! AND when it was served the quality was excellent so if visiting allow time to have something to eat otherwise you are missing out! The 2 guys also came in for liuch and had a bit of a chat with them, partly about the airfield and partly about the A.225 which one of them had seen on approach to Doncaster.
All in all a great airfield and friendly people.

a few pics to gove a flavour of the place:
3 locals on the apron:
Image1602 Sandtoft 11-11-2015 parked aircraft by Andrew Goldsmith, on Flickr

and inside the maintenance hangar:
Ce.210 N30953
Image1611 Ce.210 N30593 Sandtoft 11-11-2015 by Andrew Goldsmith, on Flickr

CE.337 N337UK
Image1613 Ce.337 N337UK Sandtoft 11-11-2015 by Andrew Goldsmith, on Flickr

and Pa.28 Arrow N2136E
Image1609 Pa.28 Arrow N2136E Sandtoft 11-11-2015 by Andrew Goldsmith, on Flickr

any further information would be most welcome , please add anything which will be useful to visitors, thank you.

Andrew
Andygolfer (or at least I was once), now just plane crazy

please support our photo competitions by entering and/or voting!
Proud winner of 2019 Air-Britain photo competition!

co-owner of UK Light Aviation Enthusiasts google group https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/uklae
and Stansted Aviation Enthusiasts google group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/stnae

my photos on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125470545@N07/

tb2

Re: Sandtoft, Lincs - airfield guide

Post by tb2 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:46 am

Andy,

Yes, the hangars at the far end do house the residents.

A useful resource for all airfield/airport/airstrip visits is the following ;

http://www.laasdata.com/ports-of-call/index.php

Simply click on the drop down box and highlight the appropriate location.

Sometimes a bit dated but nevertheless very useful indeed.

Trevor

Return to “Midlands and East Anglia”