Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Scottish Trip Memories 7-15th September 2012

Post your logs, movements and information for airports located in Scotland.
Bobbybefc

Scottish Trip Memories 7-15th September 2012

Post by Bobbybefc » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:51 pm

:cool:

A bit old but details of a trip my wife and I made on the above dates and some of the airfields visited:-

07/09/2012

CUMBERNAULD

A first for me, and having read several reports prior to going was not hopeful of getting access. Quick request at the tower -was refused access, however the ATC guy did help me ID some all the aircraft on the tarmac. Noted were the following:-

G-CEST- R44
G-DROP- C206
G-BNOM- PA28
G-BXGH- DA20
G-JADJ- PA28
G-BEHV- C172
G-ORMB- R22
G-CEOF- PA28
G-BOIO- C152
G-BMXA- C152
G-BSOU- PA38

A couple went into the book out of that short log- so after our sandwich and a drink, filled up with some more of George Osbornes very expensive fuel then headed for our next stop Dundee.

En-route drove past BALADO BRIDGE airfield- which was closed however seen from the road was the resident Jet Provost XM412.

Next stop:-

DUNDEE (RIVERSIDE)

Had not visited this airfield since the late 1980's- so on arrival parked in the carpark to the left of the hangars and listed the following:-

G-GBHI- TB10
G-BNOF-PA28
G-BITF- C152
G-BVHG- Grob
G-JANI- R44
G-EVIE- PA28
G-BVHF- Grob
G-BNIM- PA38
G-BXOJ- PA28
G-WEND- PA28
G-BIIT- PA28
G-OSSA- C206
G-BHXK- PA28
G-MRAJ- Hughes 369

Then we continued our journey up to our overnight stop at the Bridge of Don in ABERDEEN.

Saturday 8th September 2012

Up early- for our breakfast, then car packed again we headed off to our next destination:-

ABERDEEN

Had not visited this airfield since 1996- but a quick trip around general aviation and CHC and Bond helicopters and also on top of the airport car park resulted in the following list:-

G-WNSH- S92
G-CHCH- AS332
G-PUMS- AS332
G-CHCF- AS332
G-CHCS- S92
G-CHCY- AS332
G-ZZSG- EC225
G-ZZSH- EC225
G-CGZS- S92
G-CFLV- Saab 2000
G-CFLU- Saab 2000
G-TIGF- AS332
G-CHCB- AS332
OO-NAD- Falcon
G-REDK- AS332
G-CHCL- EC225
LY-ETM- ATR
G-BEZV- C172
G-RKKT- C172
G-CCTT- C172
CS-DXF- C560
OO-CIV- CJ2
XZ372- Jaguar (Fire)

Only stayed 20 minutes as we had to get to our holiday destination which was still quite a way away.

En route went to another of my target airfields for the holiday which had a few which I needed- and am I glad I did- the beautiful airfield at:-

INSCH

On arrival- I was glad to discover that the hangars were open and following a quick chat and handshake with the airfield owner full access was granted. Logged during a twenty minute stop were the following:-

G-BALK- Stampe- (Being restored)
G-AWUE- Jodel
G-BSYH- Luscombe
G-AISS- Cub- (Hanging from hangar roof)
G-CENH- Tecnam
G-CCSY- Pegasus
G-MVCL- Pegasus
G-MYNS- Pegasus
G-MVHE- Mainair
G-MTNT- Thruster
G-NIPP- Tipsy Nipper
G-ARWR- C172
G-AKTS- C120
G-MYVN- Pegasus
G-EIKY- Europa
G-BZVA- Zenair
G-CDTO- Pegasus
G-MWYL- Mainair
G-MYMX- Pegasus
G-MWVH- Shadow
G-MWTT- Rans
G-CEBZ- Zenair

What a great airfield- thanked the owner and then headed up to our cottage for the week in the beautiful village of Cullen.

Sunday 9th September 2012

After breakfast- it was into the car to my next New airfield- this being the airfield near Elgin this being:-

EASTERTON

Found the field easily- and after negotiating the long gravely/grass roadway to the hangars- a request to look around was granted and the following was logged in the two hangars and on the field:-

G-CJOG- Grob 103
G-ATJC- Victa Airtourer (On rebuild)
G-NESE- Tecnam
G-BTDA- T61
G-GSST- Grob 102
G-DCZJ- SZD-30
G-CJMY- SZD-51
G-CHYJ- Ask 21
G-RUNS- Pegasus
G-PARG- Pitts
G-CCRF- Pegasus
G-CEDW- Mini-max
G-DCHU- K8B
G-CJYC- Grob 102
G-BTRU- Robin

Copped 12/15 Nice return- lovely airfield

Monday 10th September 2012

Heading out into Inverness to see the Dolphins on the black isle at Chanonry Point and Hugh Millers cottage with our national trust cards we made a stop at:-

INVERNESS

Logged during a 40 minute stop and check of the airfield and hangars were:-

G-FBJF- E175
A6-MRS- BBJ
G-LVLV- CL604
OY-PBI- Let 410
D-CNAC- Metro
PH-SOL- C525
G-BMUG- Vari-eeze
G-CXLS- C560
D-IMME- C551
G-SPVK- AS350
PH-DIX- PC12
G-LAZL- PA28
G-BNHG- PA38
G-JXTA- J31
G-LGNM- Saab 340
G-SMMB- C406
G-PDGK- SA365

Nothing seen at Dalcross Heliport but the following were logged over the fence at the:-

HIGHLAND AVIATION MUSEUM

ZA362- Tornado
WT660- Hunter
XS176- Jet Provost f/f
XV254- Nimrod f/f
XV867- Buccaneer f/f
XK532- Buccaneer
XM169- Lightning f/f
G-ASVO- Herald f/f
XD875- Valiant f/f

On way back from Inverness made another brief stop at the airport logged in addition to the above were:-

G-LGNE- Saab 340
G-GNTB- Saab 340
G-CHHF- S92

Tuesday 11th September 2012

Another day of culture today- visting Delgatie Castle near Turiff and then Fyvie Castle near believe it or not Fyvie. The latter a National Trust of Scotland establishment- and of course free to visit using our NT cards.

After the culture part of the day- we went to look for and found thanks to the wifes excellent map-reading- (No Tom tom's for us) and directions from a website off the net how to find it:-

WHITERASHES

Again this had been one of my target airfields for the trip as there was an Auster there which does not venture much out of Scotland and which was a massive gap filler for me. I remember someone stating on this forum that they had never heard of this airfield- but I can confirm it does exist.

We were fortunate enough to find the single hangar open with two guys working on their Rans- Again a polite request and I was given permission to view the ELEVEN based aircraft and take photographs if I wished. Logged were:-

G-AIJT- Auster ;D
G-SAUK- Rans
G-CESJ- Raj Hamsa ;D
G-ASPF- Jodel
G-OMAS- C150
G-BSPL- CFM ;D
G-MYAH- MW5 ;D
G-MNYU- Pegasus ;D
G-BCGM- Jodel
G-CDJL- Jabiru
G-BPRD- Pitts

Nice return 5/11- Nice airfield- and lovely people- even offered to ring the owner of Peterhead airfield for me to get me access there. But as it was late in the day, headed back to Cullen for a walk, food and a few drinks.

Wednesday 12th September 2012

Bit of a mixture today again of aircraft and culture- the wife and I went on a cruise of Loch Ness followed by a visit to the impressive National Trust of Scotland at CULLODEN.

Before and after the culture bit of the trip- visited:-

INVERNESS

Logged during two short visits were:-

N21UK- Cirrus Sr 22
N56D- Gulfstream 5
G-TAMR- C172
DU140- AW139- Dubai Air Wing
OE-GCE- Hawker
OO-FPC- C525
G-BRLP- PA38
LX-FGL- C560
OO-FPA- C560

On the way back to the cottage drove around the coast road and past:-

LOSSIEMOUTH

Just one logged this being the gate guardian:-

ZA475- Tornado ;D

Could see a few more Tornado's on the flight line but carried on driving.

Just as we were getting into Elgin seen outside the Buccaneer Petrol Station- yes you've guessed it was:-

XW530- Buccaneer ;D

Saturday 15th September 2012

Early to rise, had breakfast, loaded the car and set off at 09:15am for the long trip home- lovely weather when we left- clouded over and got windy nearer to England we got- had decided to do the trip in one go this time- usually have a stop over.

Headed A96-90-94 to my first pitstop of the trip- and somewhere I have not been for about 20 odd years the lovely airfield at:-

PERTH (Scone)

A quick request at the tower and at the aero club gave me access to the very large aero-club hangar. No hi-viz required. Logged were the following:-

G-FISH- C310
G-PEGI- PA34
G-EPTR- PA28
G-BXJM- C152
G-RMPS- Vans
G-REGC- Zenair
G-BNJH- C152
G-IFLP- PA34
G-BMXA- C152
G-BEHV- C172
G-CCLF- Skyranger
G-KIMA- Zenair
G-CDBO- Skyranger
G-CEVB- Pegasus
G-TKEV- Pegasus
G-CGPA- Ace Magni
G-CBDD- Mainair
G-MYRY- SW Pegasus
G-MYRN- SW Pegasus
G-CGHL- MT03
G-CDOP- Pegasus Quik
G-CGCN- MCR01
G-CCAE- Jabiru
G-DAVB- Aerosport Scamp
G-HACE- RV6
G-JFLO- Dynamic
G-DNKS- C42
G-CBVY- C42
G-DTAR- Pegasus Quik
G-BAMY- PA28R
G-CFOW- Skyranger
G-RIKI- Mainair
G-MYVM- Pegasus
G-BZLL- Pegasus
G-CGRS- Pegasus
G-BYBY- Thorp T18
G-CFNW- Ev97
G-BWJH- Europa
G-BOMB- Cassutt
G-RVEE- RV6
G-BYPZ- Rans
G-OLAA- Alpi
G-FIRZ- Murphy Renegade
G-BKCW- Jodel
G-CCAK- Zenair
G-AWBG- PA28
G-CGOS- PA28
G-XARV- ARV
G-INGS- Bellenca
G-BSMD- Nord (14)
G-RIFY- Christen Eagle
G-OSIT- Pitts
G-FAJM- R44
G-BGXK- C310
G-CESP- Rutan
G-BZMF- Long Eeze
G-CBYD- Rans
N2231F- C182
G-HIND- Maule
G-BPTG- AC112
G-BIXA- TB9
G-BLAT- Jodel
G-SUPA- PA18
G-KRES- Glassair
G-RORB- Mini-Spitfire (P9637)
G-CGWI- Mini Spifire (1J0H)
G-HCCL- Kingair 200
G-BBSB- Beech 23
EI-APF- C150
G-BBLS- AA5

Copped 38/70 the ACS hangar and another were not open- so must be at least 100 based- 6 of the residents had gone to the BoB at Leuchars.

Had something to eat then headed for to my last stop on a great holiday this being:-

BALADO PARK

Was closed the last time I went- but was open and a request at the control room/clubhouse with one of the aircraft owners- was a guy whom I had spoken too 18 months earlier during a trip to Rossall Field. He now lives in Scotland. Did have a Skyranger but now has a T600.

He got his keys and bingo the hangar was open- and the following were logged

G-PSUK- T600
G-CDFO- Pegasus
G-MWRE- Mainair
G-CDDF- Pegasus
G-CDML- Pegasus
G-CEZT- Pegasus
G-CFEM- Pegasus
G-NUTT- Pegasus
G-CCYJ- Pegasus

Made 8/9 of aircraft seen- the grass strips at the airfield had been damaged during the T in the park at the airfield so the pilots were having to land there aircraft on the concrete runway.

There were a further two lockups and a couple of containers at the field. All the hangars/lockups are hidden away behind tree's.

So ended a great holiday- headed home M80/M73/M74/M6 arriving back in Runcorn at 18:45- some 1,702 miles driven during the trip. Lots of gap fillers made- lovely country to visit, but do not think I will return for some time.

I hope this was of some interest albeit 18 months ago.

Happy Days

Bob :cool:
Bobby B EFC :cool:

Mike
Administrator, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Re: Scottish Trip Memories 7-15th September 2012

Post by Mike » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:36 pm

Great log Bob, glad you both enjoyed it. :)

Please support our monthly photo competitions by entering and/or by voting !

Bobbybefc

Re: Scottish Trip Memories 7-15th September 2012

Post by Bobbybefc » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:42 pm

:D

We certainly did Mike, it was lovely- great scenery, people, history and also some nice aircraft. We are going to visit the West side this year whilst attending a friends daughter's wedding- so hopefully get a few more airfields out of the way.

Happy Days

Bob :cool:
Bobby B EFC :cool:

Return to “Scotland”