Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Stow Maries (Essex) fly in 6-9-2014

Post your airshow images here, military aircraft that attend civilian airshows can be posted as long as the bulk of the photos in the thread are of civilian participants.
andygolfer
Administrator, POTM, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Stow Maries (Essex) fly in 6-9-2014

Post by andygolfer » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:09 pm

I took a fairly short drive to Stow Maries airfield yesterday where they were holding a fly in over the weekend. It's a former world war 1 airfield and many of the original buildings are still there, some of which are currently being restored to create a WW1 museum. Unfortunately the weather was poor with low cloud and visibility so only a limited number of aircraft managed to get there, I expect they had many more today but I couldn't get there today due to tennis club commitments. It was interesting trying to get the settings right to get usable results (I dupmed a lot), you have to think about it so much more on a grotty day.

These are some of my pics, covering every visitor I think - that gives an idea of how few managed to make their way to the event. I tried one or two in mono and also some of the SE.5 and Sopwith pup replicas in mono and sepia

Image4959 general by sickbag_andy, on Flickr

Image0223 G-ARUI by sickbag_andy, on Flickr

the Shield Xyla monoplane, designed and built by George Shield, headmaster of Mexborough Grammar School where it was built in the 1960s (at my grammar school the woodwork classes were nothing like as exciting as that!)
Image0225 G-AWPN Shield xyla mono by sickbag_andy, on Flickr

Image4938 G-ASXU by sickbag_andy, on Flickr

this Quik R was the only microlight to arrive - i saw it again today when it overflew my tennis club - no idea whether it was on it's way to Stow Maries again
Image0247 G-OTOP quicksilver by sickbag_andy, on Flickr

time for a chat
Image0250 G-OTOP quicksilver by sickbag_andy, on Flickr

a couple more of the Shield Xyla...
Image4931 G-AWPN shield xyla by sickbag_andy, on Flickr

Image4932 G-AWPN shield xyla by sickbag_andy, on Flickr

Image0314 G-AXAT by sickbag_andy, on Flickr

2 of Hornet moth G-ADMT:
Image4953 G-ADMT hornet moth by sickbag_andy, on Flickr

I used flash for this one to try to pick out some colour as it was rather dull at the time!
Image0265 G-ADMT hornet moth by sickbag_andy, on Flickr

Image0235 G-ASXU by sickbag_andy, on Flickr

Image0283 cub G-SWAY by sickbag_andy, on Flickr

Image0289 cub G-SWAY by sickbag_andy, on Flickr

G-BMXC made an almost identical length of journey as me - it's based at Andrewsfield about 4 miles from me!
Image0271 G-BMXU by sickbag_andy, on Flickr

marshalling in progress - a team of volunteer marshallers from the Stansted branch of air Britain worked at the event, they cover many events during the course of a season
Image0234 marshalling with g-asxu by sickbag_andy, on Flickr

the only helicopter was this Rotorway 162...
Image0300 G-CBJV rotorway 162 by sickbag_andy, on Flickr

and now a few of the SE.5 replica, G-BMDB (which did a short flight) and the Sopwith Pup which didnt fly as it's a non flying replica, I've tried some of these in mono and sepia to see how they come out
Image5014 SE.5 by sickbag_andy, on Flickr

Image5001 SE.5 sepia by sickbag_andy, on Flickr

Image4963 SE5, F235 G-BMDB mono by sickbag_andy, on Flickr

Image0228 pup h-on by sickbag_andy, on Flickr

Image0221 pup & se.5 sepia by sickbag_andy, on Flickr

Image0220 pup & se.5 by sickbag_andy, on Flickr

and finally the airfield's memorial with some of the original buildings in the background (the unrestored ones). The airfield is also well known for it's wildlife (wildlife photography days are held there) particularly there are some barn owls in residence using some of the old buildings. i've yet to see one there unfortunately. I tried to be a bit clever with my editing here!
Image0308 memorial mono & flag by sickbag_andy, on Flickr

there are a few more in my flickr album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125470545 ... 932744950/

C & C welcome as usual
Andygolfer (or at least I was once), now just plane crazy

please support our photo competitions by entering and/or voting!
Proud winner of 2019 Air-Britain photo competition!

co-owner of UK Light Aviation Enthusiasts google group https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/uklae
and Stansted Aviation Enthusiasts google group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/stnae

my photos on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125470545@N07/

PorkScratching
POTM & SPOTM winner

Re: Stow Maries (Essex) fly in 6-9-2014

Post by PorkScratching » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:00 pm

Shame the weather reduced numbers, but still an interesting collection of a/c. The sepia SE5 and Pup works really well, and the memorial shot too. Nice to see a shot of G-BMXC - I did my QXC and skills test in it!

Return to “Airshows/Events”