Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Hot air in the Alps

Post your airshow images here, military aircraft that attend civilian airshows can be posted as long as the bulk of the photos in the thread are of civilian participants.
apgphoto
POTM winner

Hot air in the Alps

Post by apgphoto » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:00 pm

Following on from Italy it was off to the Alps to brush up on mountain flying

From the ground:

From the air leaving the field

Crossing the Alps towards Germany FL110, yes 11,000ft

iPhone pano of the Alps

Mike
Administrator, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Re: Hot air in the Alps

Post by Mike » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:32 am

Great stuff. :) :thumb:

Where did you end up landing?

Please support our monthly photo competitions by entering and/or by voting !

apgphoto
POTM winner

Post by apgphoto » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:13 am

We would fly along the valley in Austria climb up and over and land in Southern Bavaria most days, there is a brewery that supports the meet and gives free beer to the pilot!

Last flight we climbed straight from take off to FL100 hitting 40kts and landed within 25km of Munich, Munich ATC were excellent fitting us in around their movements.

Mike
Administrator, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Post by Mike » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:23 am

That sounds like fun and free beer too, sounds good to me. :)

Please support our monthly photo competitions by entering and/or by voting !

MikeB
Administrator

Post by MikeB » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:38 pm

Lovely work Paul... looks like the near kit is doing the trick!

apgphoto
POTM winner

Post by apgphoto » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:55 pm

Mike, thanks for that!

I'm definitely a M4/3 convert now. Being able to take a body and two lenses in the flight bag is so much easier, they both fit in a compact camera case too. Its taking some time to actually get used to how small the EM-1is, but it feels great in the hand. Lots of settings that I have gone nowhere near as yet, just feeling my way shooting aperture priority so far. Image quality is outstanding I would say somewhere between APS-C and FF, I certainly dont regret the move of systems at all.

Olympus back up is as good as CPS or NPS. Mine acquired what could only be called a fluid spot on the sensor, I have no idea how it got there unless it was a temperature effect we were at FL110 when I changed lens. The EM-1 has an excellent cleaning function and this wouldn't shift it. You can not manually clean the sensor as it has the VR built in to it so when switched off it is "loose" for want of a better word and then when powered up its suspended (5 axis VR) A call to Oly service it was picked up last Thursday and delivered back today (Wednesday) from their service plant in Spain, a three working day turnaround is pretty good.

apgphoto
POTM winner

Post by apgphoto » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:06 pm

Two videos if anyone is still watching :thumb:

Our last flight in timelapse "onboard" footage style. Story behind this one is that Daniel our friend from Sweden needed to get to Munich Airport for his flight home, Heaven my wife decided to give him a lift. As there was good wind speed around 40kts at FL080 they didn't need to go much higher over the mountains and the direction was perfect. With excellent help from Munich ATC they were able to land within 25kms of the airport.

http://youtu.be/ZQEL1i0IuD8

And the second of the scenery outside. A three hour flight in 5 mins, Daniel flew the take off if you're wandering how its happening with me taking pictures. We got up to FL105 for the crossing and look out for the touch and go on a frozen lake around 4.04

http://youtu.be/sWq6_UnNg9U

Bobbybefc

Post by Bobbybefc » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:30 pm

:D

Apgphoto,

Great photos think I have viewed the same on another site. Thanks for posting same. :thumb:

Happy Days

Bob :cool:
Bobby B EFC :cool:

noryport
POTM winner

Post by noryport » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:05 pm

I didn't realise the amount of skill put in ,till I watched those time watch videos. The low stuff is quite hairy speeded up .Did you ever used to land anywhere near Garmisch or Grunewald.. :thumb:
Keep on pressing them buttons, to get your numbers up...Tell your friend s too :ninja:

Return to “Airshows/Events”