Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Stretton Airfield, Cheshire

Post your logs, movements and information for airports/airfields located in the North of England.
Martin

Stretton Airfield, Cheshire

Post by Martin » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:38 pm

This afternoon, I took the Girlfriend upto the Stobart depot at Appleton Thorne, Cheshire so she could get some trucks. Whilst I was there, a cream Auster with a red reg' departed from Stretton Airfield (aka HMS Blackcap). Until today, I wasn't aware that the airfield was still active. On previous visits, I had seen Microlights landing to the South but I had always presumed they were operating from the grass strip just to the South of Stretton (this strip was the home to Jungmann G-BZJV, I'm not sure what is based there now).

Does anybody know what is based at the airfield? I may have a look next time I'm up that way.

Many thanks
Martin

Woodford

Re: Stretton Airfield

Post by Woodford » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:37 pm

will get you the exact info, need to search my email, give me 5 :)

Woodford

Re: Stretton Airfield

Post by Woodford » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:43 pm

heres some info someone sent me :)
They do use a form of ATC at Stretton, a frequency called “Safetycom” for which the description of it’s purpose is “Safetycom is a common frequency introduced for use by aircraft in the vicinity of an airfield or landing site that does not have a notified VHF frequency for radio communications. Safetycom is not an Air Traffic Service & there is no associated ground station”. What this actually means is that a pilot will call up with his position & his intentions, then any should any other pilot on the frequency have conflicting intentions they can sort it out before it because a safety issue.

If you look at it from Google Earth (or other satelite imagery) you can see the two sections to the airfield clearly. They both use grass strips rather than the concrete as t saves on maintenance costs.

The strip to the SW is home to some sort of vintage aircraft collection; however, the owner of this is a bit of a strange chap & doesn't share his collection unless you fly to him in another vintage aircraft! Not much activity happens on that side but I assume things to happen.

The part to the NE is by far the most used, it's mainly used by microlights but I have heard other STOL (Short Take Off & Landing) aircraft having been there. As for access to this stip I don't know of anyone really trying as most aircraft are taken home by their owners when they've finished flying for the day. With places like this it's 50/50 weather their friendly & it's almost always at the 2 extremes of the scale!

Thats about all I know about them, I have perviously asked around at Barton to see if people knew more about the goings on or how well established it is but people don't seem to know much about it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjjlivepic ... 506406129/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

my pics :)

Lewis

Return to “North of England”