Did you know that registration to Civilian Aviation is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Glasgow visit

Post your logs, movements and information for Glasgow here.
retro11
POTM winner

Glasgow visit

Post by retro11 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:21 pm

Thinking of making a jaunt down to GLA this coming week for a change of airport for photography purposes, going to leave the car for once and catch the bus so any tips for where i should head for on foot when i arrive at the terminal armed with my 300mm lens etc etc thanks for any replys i get in advance retro

stu5748

Re: Glasgow visit

Post by stu5748 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:57 pm

I did exactly the same thing when the A380 arrived in April - ditched the car and took the bus instead, I found the best place to go was down Abbotsinch Road - it runs along the eastern side of the airport, parallel to the runway and you can get some really good views of the runway from there. Its about a 15 min walk from the bus stop at the main terminal.

retro11
POTM winner

Post by retro11 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:25 am

stu thanks for the reply google maps etc seem to point thats the best bet if on RWY23

DWilson212

Post by DWilson212 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:03 pm

Hi,

Glasgow is to me an excellent airport for getting good views and even better photographs. There are plenty of excellent viewing areas around the North, East and West of the airport. The South is mainly dominated by the M8 motorway and private fields. The A726 runs between the airport perimeter fence and the M8 but is down below the runway so doesn't offer much. Also, some excellent views of the international apron which, during the summer, houses 747's and 787's among others from the car park of the Logan Air hangar.

If you drive, be careful where you park on the West side of the runway where the road is very close to crash fence! You must park side of the opposite to the crash fence as the police will be on your case otherwise!

Generally, the police and airport security a very friendly to plane spotters.

Hope this can help somewhat.

All the best,

DWilson212
Last edited by DWilson212 on Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Planes, trains and automotive enthusiast.

Mike
Administrator, SPOTM & FC POTM winner

Post by Mike » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:07 pm

Thanks for that, have moved this thread into the Glasgow section. :)

Please support our monthly photo competitions by entering and/or by voting !

Return to “Glasgow”